Prologue

Surprise! New book :)

Please vote if you like it!

~ ~ ~

Everyone was so busy, pulling out paper plates and forks, the many different types of pasta salad. Bella stared at them in excitedly, hoping that they would soon be allowed to cut the cake.

The cake was her favorite part of her birthday, especially the frosting.

Her mother, Miranda, had just picked up the cake from the bakery right before they'd gotten there. Her whole family was coming today to celebrate this monumental day.

You only turned six once.

Quickly growing bored, Bella skipped away from them looking for something fun to do. Her older brother Liam wasn't there yet, he was at his soccer game. She was disappointed that he wasn't there to keep her company but her mother promised that Liam and her daddy would be there before the party started.

She kicked off her shoes and began twirling around. She loved practicing the spins that she learned in the ballet class her mommy put her in.

"Bella, don't go too far okay?" Her mom called.

Bella nodded. "I won't mommy!"

Her mother continued taping streamers to the side of the picnic table. If she didn't get the decorating done by the time her own mother showed up, she'd never hear the end of it. Even at thirty-two years of age with two children, her mother never failed to try control her life.

She glanced up every now and then to make sure that Bella was still in sight. The young girl was jumping around in the grass with bare feet. She made a mental note to go fetch her shoes when the decorating was done. She didn't want them to get lost during the celebration.

"Miranda, I'm here. I brought my famous store-bought potato salad!" Bella's mom rolled her eyes before smiling and greeting her sister.

"Oh Sam, how I love your store-bought potato salad." Miranda answered.

Samantha set the salad down before rubbing her hands together. "Alright, let's get this table decorated before
mom gets here."

Miranda nodded in agreement. It only took about ten minutes to get the table ready. They set out most of the food but would have to wait to eat until Victor, Miranda's husband showed up and cooked the hamburgers.

She didn't want Liam to go to his soccer game since it was his sister's birthday, but the sport meant so much to him, she couldn't say no. Victor had promised to be here by 12 o'clock when the party started.

It was now 11:43 and she was hoping that they wouldn't be late. That would be another reason for her mother to lecture her.

She glanced over at Bella who appeared to be trying to catch a butterfly. Miranda loved how much her daughter enjoyed nature. Unlike Liam, who was always after the next new video game, Bella never grew tired of playing outside.

"Miranda, where is Victor?" Miranda cringed slightly at the sound of her mother's voice.

She turned to face her. "Victor is on his way now with Liam."

Miranda was met with her mother, Carol's, famous look of disappointment. "I cannot believe you allowed him to go to that game on Bella's birthday."

Miranda sighed. "He's not missing the celebration, mom. Bella doesn't mind anyway."

Her mother shook her head and sighed. "Well, I'm not going to tell you how to be a mother, but-"

"Mom, you don't even need to finish that sentence." Miranda said tiredly. She opened the box holding the cake.