Chapter 2

~ ~ ~

Marshall and I sat in the black car, driving to a destination that I didn't know. Each prodigy was assigned a specialist to oversee our trial. I had initially thought that we'd all go together but each of our assignments was separate.

We drove for a long time, much longer than I was expecting. I'd never been this far away from the agency and the world outside my window was vast and unfamiliar. The desert terrain slowly turned to pavement and soon, we were surrounded by lit buildings and other cars.

I'd never seen so many people in one place. I turned and looked at Marshall who was focused on the road.

"When do you tell me what my assignment is?" I asked him.

"When we reach our destination." He answered.

I turned back to my window feeling disappointed. I was hoping for more of an explanation.

As we drove, the buildings and people became fewer and we approached a suburb. I'd never seen a suburb in person before, and it had a simplistic beauty to it that brought an unusual comfort to me.

Marshall stopped the car in front of one of the houses. The windows were dark, meaning that the residents were either gone or sleeping.

"What is our ultimate goal?" Marshall asked.

"Peace." I answered him immediately.

He nodded. "The man who lives in this house is our problem. His name is Patrick Reed, he disrupts the peace. He is our top priority as of this moment."

"Okay." I said.

"Come with me." He exited the car and I quickly followed.

I matched his pace as he walked up to the front door. He turned to me and handed me a thin metal device.

"Open the door." He said.

I nodded and turned back to the knob. Picking locks had been one of the first skills that I was taught. In seconds I had the door open and we entered the house quietly.

My shoes were silent under me as we moved towards what looked to be the kitchen.

Marshall's face was void of all emotion and his eyes were cold as he spoke. "The man is upstairs, the first door on the left. You need to find him and bring him down here by any means necessary, but remain quiet."

I nodded, slightly confused. "That is my assignment? Are we taking him back to the agency with us?"

"I will explain the rest when you've gotten that far."

I took a deep breath before slipping up the stairs. This was the challenge of my first trial. Remain unseen and unheard. I remembered my challenge from just days earlier, to retrieve a flag that was placed several feet behind a sleeping lioness.

I stood in front of the door and pushed it open just enough for me to squeeze through. I stared at the man as he slept, his breathing was steady and his chest rose and fell rhythmically.

In one swift movement I twisted his arm and flipped him onto his stomach, I pressed my knee to his wrist, pinning it against his back while I covered his mouth with my hand.

His breathing immediately faltered and now his breaths were coming from his nose shallow and quick. He hummed something under my palm, sounding panicked.

I leaned down putting my mouth close to his ear. "Do not make a sound."

He froze and I could see his eyes widen. I tried figuring out how this man was disturbing the peace. He seemed unthreatening, sleeping in his bed. Maybe he had killed innocent people.