Chapter 26

~ ~ ~

I didn't go back to the cafeteria at lunch. Being questioned by my cousin seemed very unappealing and I just wanted be alone with my thoughts.

I walked through the empty hallways with a fuzzy mind and tingling lips. Sebastian was nowhere near me, and his actions still had a hold on me. I wondered if kissing was like this for everyone. It seemed unlikely.

I couldn't face Angela in that state, so I went straight to my next class and waited patiently for the bell to ring. I knew she would probably worry about me, but I couldn't find it in me to care.

When Angela found me again in the hallway after school ended that day, she nearly trampled the other students trying to get to me. I had been lost, still not in my right mind.

Even after hours had passed, I was still consumed with thoughts of Sebastian. His deep, green eyes and the softness they held; The security I felt to have his arms wrapped around me; His lips, gentle yet demanding against my own; His touch that sent a trail of fire against my skin.

I leaned against a locker and pressed a hand to my chest, trying to calm my erratic heart. Why couldn't I regulate my breathing? Why was I still so affected by him when he was no longer with me?

"Bella!" Angela barreled towards me.

I took in a breath and straightened up. She stopped in front of me, looking me over.

"What happened?" She asked. "You didn't come back, I got worried."

"I'm fine." I told her, though I was doubtful. Was I fine?

She looked doubtful as well. "Well, what did he say?"

I bit down on my lip. What did he say? That everything she thought she knew about him was a lie. I couldn't tell her that, though. Sebastian wouldn't want me to, that much he made clear.

"I told him I couldn't be around him anymore." I told her instead.

She seemed surprised by that. "Wow." She said. "I'm sure he didn't take that well."

I shook my head, looking down. "He said he isn't letting it go."

My heart stuttered in a slight panic at the thought of him finding out the truth. I knew it'd be impossible for him to find out about the Agency. Vanessa had said that every piece of information about it was completely classified. No one outside of my family was to know about it.

It wouldn't be in newspapers or magazines, so logically Sebastian couldn't find out unless I told him. That still didn't bring me piece of mind. All I could think about is how he would react if he did find out.

"Sebastian always was stubborn." Angela said, bringing me out of my thoughts. "You'll just have to ignore him. He'll get bored of it soon enough."

Her words didn't calm me. She hadn't been there to see the determination in his eyes. She didn't have this life-changing secret being held over her head. And if he did find out- I wouldn't know what to do.

"What if he doesn't stop, Angela?" I looked around the hallway to be sure that no one was listening. "What if he learns something?"

Her expression turned concerned as she slowly realized how frantic I was. "Bella, just calm down, okay?"

I took in a deep breath, feeling a frown pull at my lips. I turned away from her. "What will he think of me?"

I imagined him learning the truth, seeing me as I truly was. I could see the betrayal in his eyes, the trust he'd given me ripped from my grasp. He'd learn where my nightmares had come from, and finally understand why they shook me so violently.