Chapter 12

~ ~ ~

I straightened out the sleeves of the white blazer and looked at my reflection in full length mirror. The black uniform skirt reached just past mid-thigh. On my feet were brand new Oxford shoes with nude stockings covering the length of my legs.

My hair was pulled back into a ponytail, the ends twisted in what my mother referred "natural waves."

Today was the day. My first day of high school. My first day of any school. The school, Lincoln Academy, was a private school where uniforms were required. I didn't mind, in fact, I was comforted by the thought that everyone would be dressed the same way.

I pushed down the nerves threatening to creep up inside of me. There was no need to be nervous. I was prepared, my parents had assured me that I am.

Angela would be there to help me, so at least I wouldn't have to do this on my own.

Still, even with those reassuring thoughts, I couldn't deny the anxious feeling in my stomach. The most terrifying part of this all was that I had no idea what to expect.

At the agency, I was put in life-threatening situations, but at least I knew what was to come. I always had time to plan for things, to strategize. Here, I had not even the slightest clue as to what school would be like.

My parents had explained that it would be six classes, each class a different subject. After the first three classes, we would have a break for lunch.

What must have seemed like a clear and detailed explanation to them, was vague and even more confusing for me.

Angela had tried to help me by showing me a number of films set in high school, but I wasn't sure how much help that those would be. Miranda had told me that the accuracy of the movies was questionable.

I heard the sound of feet approaching the room just outside of my bedroom and I turned to meet whoever was coming.

A soft knock sounded on the door and I concluded it to be Miranda.

"Come in." I called.

I stood stiffly, awaiting judgement as she entered the room and looked me over. "Bella, you look beautiful."

I felt my shoulders relax slightly at her compliment. "Thank you."

She walked forward with a sad smile tugging at her lips. She placed one hand on my shoulder, the other coming up to gently touch my cheek.

Her eyes became glossy with unshed tears. "I never thought we'd have this moment."

My throat tightened at the sound of her voice. It was so full of emotion, both happy and sad. It felt familiar, in a way that made me wonder if I was feeling the same way that she was.

"Neither did I." I said quietly.

She let out a small sob and pulled me in for a tight hug. I returned the gesture almost immediately.

Touch was something that I'd gotten used to, and even come to like when it was my family. I still couldn't find it in me to let my guard down around strangers, no matter how trustworthy my family said they were.

"Well," Miranda said, pulling away from me. "We better get going. We're supposed to be there early to get your schedule."

I nodded and followed her from the room, picking up my backpack on the way out.

According to my parents, Vanessa had handled everything in regards to my schooling. They made it so that I could enter into the 12th grade without issue even though I didn't have any prior schooling.