Chapter 8

Clara's POV

After so much talking that I swear my jaw was beginning to hurt Fanny still did not believe a word that I said. I swear this woman and Mr. Plumtree would be a match made in heaven. Both equally annoying. Nothing I said to this woman would get through her thick skull. Looking out the window of the sitting room I hear someone else enter behind me.

"You seem to stare out windows quite a lot Miss Clara." a familiar annoying male voice tells me as I cringe.

Mr. Plumtree, of course why not add more to this drama that Fanny had going inside of her head? Turning around I know I have to play nice after all he really hasn't done anything wrong to me. Yes he is probably the most stuck up person I have ever met but I just had to be positive right?

"Mr. Plumtree, forgive me I thought you would be getting ready for the ball at Fanny's." I tell him trying to show him I have no interest in his statement.

"Yes, I am about to leave for there. I came to offer a ride to Miss Austen and yourself." he tells me as he walks right up to me.

I had to give it to this guy he was definitely a go getter. A part of me knew to keep my guard up though. Looking down at my white ball gown a part of me also felt like just standing here with him made me like a sheep up for the slaughter.

"I suppose that you have already informed Miss Austen then?" I ask him trying to show him I was not one to back down either.

"Yes, she said she had to collect a few things and that is when I came to fetch you." he says offering me his arm.

Oh right I forgot about the whole a woman can't walk around without having a man on her arm thing. Wait was that even really a thing or was that something my head had just made up? Either way I accepted his arm already knowing that Fanny wasn't there she was at her home waiting for her guests to arrive. Mr. Plumtree then surprises me again as he puts his other hand over mine as well.

"Will this be your first English ball?" he asks me.

Well does prom count? I don't think that it would. We don't have actual balls in the future so yes a part of me was looing forward to this while another part of me was afraid that I would fall flat on my face. I nod at him deciding not to verbally answer his question. He smiles as we continue to walk.

"Have you ever danced before? The proper way I mean?" he asks me.

"No, I confess that I have not." I tell him really resisting the urge to roll my eyes at him.

"Then I will be happy to be your partner and show you a few of the dances." he tells me and I swear I see a hint of pleasure in his eyes, almost as if he was happy that I needed his help with dancing.

"I am not so sure that Fanny would like that, after all I know she does have feelings for you." I tell him trying to make him realize she likes him and that I don't.

Plumtree opens the door for me and we start walking outside. It shocks me that he hasn't said anything to me but maybe he just didn't have anything to say at all.

"Fanny has many admirers as I am sure she has told you. Though she is a fine girl I know that whatever might have happened between us would have only been a foolish fantasy." he tells me as he takes my hands and we stop walking. "The same kind of fantasy you have with the stable boy. It may seem like it could work now but soon you will quickly realize it never could."

A part of me was scared just be the tone that he used. It was as if he were trying to tell me that he had other plans for him and I and that they would happen with or without my consent. I gulped because I didn't know what to do or say.

"It would be best for you Miss Clara if you separate your fantasy from the real life. He is a stable boy, nothing he could offer you would be enough to keep you content." he has the nerve to tell me what I may need or want.

"What makes you think you know anything about me Mr. Plumtree? We barely just met and now you think as though you know my wants and needs?" I question him as I try to pull away but he just pulls me closer.

"Let me put it another way Miss Clara, it would be horrible if something happened to Westley now wouldn't it? You hold the power in your hand. Do be cautious what you do with it." he tells me as he dares to put his hand on my cheek.

A part of me wanted to slap him as hard as I could but I knew he was black mailing me and I also knew how much power someone like him had in this time as well. If I didn't listen to him then only god knows what would happen to Westley and it would be all my fault.

"Miss Clara, here comes Miss Austen I do believe we have to leave now to arrive at the ball on time." he tells me as he takes me to the carriage and opens the door for me.

I step inside and sit down to look out the window. I didn't want to look at that horrible man at all. I heard Jane and the devil himself enter the carriage as he told the driver to start this journey to the ball. You know Cinderella had a great time at the ball and even met the prince. Something told me I would not be so lucky. Instead I was stuck with the toad sitting across from me.