Chapter 23

Plumtree's POV

Not caring that Fanny had caught me with Clara we both could hear her scream at us but our kiss did not falter. I could even feel Clara smile against our kiss. That made me very happy. After seeing her fall for two men who were not right with her. Still I had to let her know how I felt about her. Knowing she liked some of Miss Austen's novels I knew I would have to consult with Jane to get her advice on how to tell Clara my true feelings for her.

"I knew it all along! For the moment you saw her it was as if you had fallen for her right then!" Fanny yells at us.

Fallen for Clara from the moment I saw her? Thinking back I realize that what she said was right, Clara was refreshingly different. Though Clara was American it did not bother me at all that she was different from other women I had met. In fact made that just made me want to be with her more. Ass our lips separated I saw Clara look up into my eyes. Her eyes were mesmerizing, she easily cast her spell on me and I was willing to do all I could for her.

"Have you two nothing to say?!" Fanny interjects yet again. "You lied Clara! I thought you didn't like him."

"I was wrong." Clara simply says not taking her eyes off of mine.

Finally a bit of admittance, though she did not come out fully and tell me she liked me she did say that she was wrong about saying she didn't like me. Fanny then forced herself between us. Both of us were a bit shocked but not really. Still Fanny looked to Clara and was ready to take her down if she had to.

"First it was Westley then George do you not have one an in your heart or must you acquire them all just to be left alone?!" Fanny says trying to keep me away from Clara.

"You know nothing of what I feel! As if you were one to talk! You seem to switch men every week!" Clara yells right back.

Fanny would do drastic things and I was afraid she would try and harm Clara so I went around her and stood in front of Clara. There was no way I would allow the one woman I loved to be hurt by someone I knew only wanted my title. Fanny was shocked to see e go to Clara instead of siding with her and ran out of the room crying.

Jane's POV

Fanny was busy getting ready for the ball telling me that she would prove to Mr. Plumtree that she could do much better than him. That wasn't fair to Plumtree or Clara. Fanny had always been so fickle and for a moment I thought Clara was but I was praying that is she did stay to be with someone it would be Plumtree. He could provide for her and keep her safe just as he had been doing, probably without Clara's knowledge as well.

"Miss Austen?" Plumtrees voice pulls me out of my writing.

"Oh yes, do come in Mr. Plumtree." I say inviting to sit before me which he does. "What can I do for you?"

"I have come for advice. Clara has told me she loves one of your books dearly. Do you happen to know which one?" he questions me as he looks a bit nervous.

"Pride and Prejudice I believe, may I ask why you wish to know this." I say as I put down my pen and focus my attention on him.

Finally after much small talk he got to the point. Plumtree wanted to tell Clara how he felt the same way her favorite characters did. Smiling I remember to when I wrote Darcy confessing to Elizabeth and I know that Clara would not give the same reply that Elizabeth did. I began to tell him of the way that Darcy confessed his love and Plumtree watched and listened intently. Perhaps he just neede a bit of encouragement. After all the poor man had been hiding his feels for her for quite a while.

Later that night at the ball we were surrounded by people. High and low class everyone was having a good time despite the fact that it looked like it might rain outside at any moment. Looking through the crowd I can see Plumtree and Clara dancing barely able to take eye off one another. There was the magic that Clara had been looking for and all this time he had been right in front of her face. Clara watched him with a smile on her face as they danced. Now all Plumtree had to do was confess his true feelings for her. I prayed he had enough strength and heart to do it.

Clara's POV

I literally felt like this was all just a dream I would wake up from any moment and that scared me to death. For I did not want this dream to end. I honestly all this time could not see past the end of my nose while I was off trying to find that magic feeling. Still I wasn't sure if James felt the same way that I did. The song ended along with the dance and turning to go back to a seat I feel someone take my hand. Knowing that was odd I look back and see James looking at me with a smile.

"May I speak with you for a moment alone?" James asks me.

Nodding yes I follow him out of the ballroom. Many people I am sure see us do this and probably think down upon us leaving without a chaperone but I did not care and apparently neither did James. We walked outside to the garden. Right underneath a tree I notice that James seems to be a bit nervous.

"Is something wrong James?" I question as he looks at me but then shyly looks away.

"I have to make sure to get this right." he tells me with a sigh then gathers his strength and looks at me. "Miss Clara, In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."*

Standing in shock my hand goes to my heart. I would know that quote anywhere. That is the same thing that Darcy told Elizabeth when he confessed his love to her. She ended up refusing him but I don't think I could refuse James. Instead guilt flooded me. James though I was actually someone from this time period and now he wanted to confess his feelings to me. I had to be honest.

"James, I need to tell you something. I am afraid I haven't been entirely honest about who I am." I say as I look down ashamed of myself.

Taking my hand James walked forward and with his finger lifted my chin so that I was more or less forced to look at him. Smiling he looked as if he was hiding something now.

"I already know." he tells me confidently.

"What do you know?" I question him as he just smiles.

"Your from the future, I heard you and Miss Austen speaking once and after I told her I planned to confess to you she told me everything. Yet my feelings for you remain unchanged." he says as I feel our distance becoming smaller and smaller.

"You don't care? Really?" I say a bit excitedly.

"Clara you are here now and that is all that matters to me." he tells me and then leans in to kiss me.

Just as our kiss happens we hear thunder. Just like our first kiss the rain starts to come down. Our kiss now is longer than our first but that didn't affect either one of us.

"Do you feel the same for me? I cannot bare to hear that you do not love me as I love you but I will hear it if I must." James tells me as our kiss stops and my heart begins to beat ten times fast.

"You are not proud. I was wrong, I was entirely wrong about you and I do love you James Plumtree."* I say as I lean in and kiss him.

(*Full and or changed quotes from Pride and Prejudice)