Chapter 11

Clara's POV

The next morning I now found myself staring out the window which was something Jane normally did but now I couldn't get George Land off of my mind. Talk about confusing my heart. I mean after what happened with Westley even though it was short it still hurt. A part of me wanted to put up all of my defenses and just lock myself in my room but when I thought about George I couldn't help but smile.

"You and Aunt Jane stare out the window quite often wouldn't you say?" Fanny's annoying voice asked me as I didn't even turn to look at her.

"Some of us prefer to see the world in different ways, even outside of windows I suppose." I answer her as we hear someone enter the room.

Judging by the sound of the shoes it was likely Plumtree. I was right with my assumption as Fanny now gleefully squealed like a child on Christmas morning. Rolling my eyes I could only imagine why he was here or more who he was here for. I didn't want anything to do with him, in my eyes he had to much power and time on his hands for my taste. I quickly turn to walk out when two other gentlemen walk into the room. One of them being George and the other an older man I had no met before with Jane on his arm.

"Ah here she is Lord Land, this is my friend Clara. Came all the way here from America." Jane says as I curtsy to the man.

This must be George's father! What in the world is he doing here? I hope this isn't a whole meeting your parents thing. I don't know if I am ready for that yet. As I returned to my normal standing position Jane smiled at me like I was following her teachings to a perfect "T".

"Lord Land is George's Father and he has come to speak to you. I do believe that is something you would agree to is it not Clara?" Jane asks me and I can tell from her expression I better say that this is ok.

"Of course, it is a pleasure to meet you Lord Land." I tell him as he smiles and looks from me to George.

"I like this one, she has a brain and class." Lord Land tells me as George rolls his eyes. "Clara, the reason I am here is because a few other women were gossiping as they do about you and my son and something about a field. Being the young bachelor he is I wanted to meet the woman who stole time from other women for my son. I can see why you are quite beautiful."

A part of me was shocked that he just said that but I went with it. I really did steal his time away from the other ladies? The only other one I saw was Fanny but then again I wasn't paying much attention to be honest. I look to George who mouths "I'm so sorry." to me but I just smile at him. Plumtree and Fanny decide to take a walk at this time.

"Thank you Lord Land, that is quite a compliment coming from you." I tell him with a kind smile.

"Good birthing hips as well, I have no objections George she could provide you with many children so spend as much time with her as you can." Lord Land says as he walks away with Jane and I just stand there in shock as George comes up to me.

"My father tends to speak his mind, sometimes it is quite embarrassing." George tells me.

"Did your father just tell me I have good birthing hips?" I ask him with a laugh.

George nods with a big smile on his face. He was probably happy that I didn't over react to what his father just said about me but I found it to be very funny. Never in my life had anyone ever told me that I had good birthing hips. Smiling George leaned forward and whispered into my ear.

"I think he want's me to marry you but fear not I know you wouldn't want something like that so quickly." he tells me then pulls away so I can look him right in the eyes.

Here is a incredibly handsome man standing before me and I am being one of the stupid girls like in the movie about to let the best man for them run away from her. No way not this girl I won't marry him or anything yet but I will be bold and do this. Before he can say another word my lips are firmly planted on his and he has no objections at all. I can feel his left arm go around my back while his right hand is placed on my cheek. Our kiss doesn't stop but becomes more intense and passionate. There was no way in heck I was stopping first.

"Ahem." someone interrupts us.

Then again there are so many other people here who can ruin such a sweet moment. Pulling away George can clearly see who is behind me that ruined our moment and I have a feeling I know who it is as well.

"Order for you Lord Land." Plumtree's voice sounds a bit too excited for me.

George clears his throat as he moves from me to Plumtree and takes the paper from him. I  could hear him open the orders and a part of me started to panic. Not many people survived war and I didn't want George to be one of them. I hear him crumple the paper.

"Bad news? Must you return to the front?" Plumtree asks as I hear George clear his throat again.

"Please give me a moment alone with Miss Clara won't you?" George asks and I can hear Plumtree agree and his shoes sound him leaving the room.

I don't turn around because a part of me knows if I did I would burst into tears. George came to me though and I could tell by the look on his face that he had to return to war and nothing I could say or do would be able to stop him. Here I was someone from the future still unable to change what would become the past.

"I will return, I promise you that. What we have has just started I know we only just met but I have a week before returning and I wish to spend everyday of it with you. Will you allow me that?" he asks me putting his hand on my cheek.

Nodding I lean forward into his touch, one kiss that was all it took for me to fall in love with George and now I might loose him forever. You know it is true what they say. War is hell.