Chapter 17

Plumtree's POV

Words failed me when I looked at Clara. My heart beat fast and I could feel a sweat I had not felt before. Still when I looked at her it was all I could do to keep myself from grabbing her and kissing her. All of the answers I gave her were true. Though a good month had past since I last saw her I still thought of her more often than an woman I had ever met before. Today would be a true test for my pride that is. Fanny's wedding was today. Something told me that both Jane and Clara would be there.

Looking out of the carriage I could see we had finally arrived at the church. Once inside I could see that the church was decorated beautifully and there at the alter I could see a woman just finishing putting flowers up. Just from her hair I knew it was Clara for she was the only angel with that color. Turning back she saw me and smiled. That pulled at my heart more than I thought it would.

"Mr. Plumtree, you look well." she tells me after a curtsey.

"Miss Clara, as do you a bit tired though I assume." I reply after my bow.

Clara shrugs as if it were nothing. She didn't act as if it bothered her at all. Still I knew that Fanny must be running her ragged. We turned and walked side by side making small talk. Clara told me of all the fuss that Fanny had with just the flowers but still she was able to do whatever she could to help her. That made me proud of her for some reason.

"Clara?" a woman's voice called out to us.

We both looked up to see a frantic Jane looking around the church behind us. Why in the world would Jane be frantic? Did something happen? Clara went right to Jane with myself close behind her as Jane began to explain that Fanny was getting cold feet and she is now locked up in a room and refuses to come out.

"What brought all of this on?" Clara questions looking to Jane for help.

"I have no idea, he father was happy with her choice. I can not imagine what would make her second guess her choice now." Jane says as we begin to walk to the room that Fanny was inside.

Clara knocked on the door and surprisingly Fanny opened it. The minute she saw me she smiled. That was an odd reaction in my eyes after all she was about to be married and yet she smiled at me with the same smile she always had. Clara stepped into her vision and made Fanny start to explain to her what was going on.

"Nothing, just think here in just a few hours I will be married to a handsome wealthy man." Fanny boasted trying to hug Clara who looked at me as if she had just smelled something horrible.

"Fanny? Have you had anything to drink?" Jane questioned her.

Fanny shock her head no but you could easily tell that was a lie and it wouldn't surprise me if she were drunk. That's when she began singing in a tune that no one on earth could carry let alone her at this very moment.

"Oh dear, I think we need to lay you down and let you rest for a while." Clara tells Fanny and tries to lay her on the sofa.

"No, I caught him...just like you caught Westley! Men think they are so smart, ha I won't marry someone who won't be happy with me!" Fanny yelled then decided to fall asleep on the couch just a moment later.

"She caught him?" I question as I look to Jane and Clara who also look at one another confused.

The only thing that came to my mind between Clara and Westley was when she caught him with the stable boy and another woman. Did that mean that Fanny had caught her soon to be husband with another woman? From the look on Clara's face she looked as if she were thinking the same thing. Standing about to leave the room Jane looked at her confused.

"Where are you going?" Jane asked.

"To find the groom, he better not have done what I think he did." Clara says as she turns on her heel and walks out of the room.

"Plumtree please go with her. Mr. Carlton can be quite a handful sometimes." Jane asks me and I nod turning and follow Clara.

We walk to the grooms room to get ready and without even a knock Clara opened the door. Harold Carlton was already dressed looking the mirror getting ready for his soon to be wedding. Just like any groom would do I suppose.

"Did you sleep with another woman?" Clara questions the man bluntly.

Mr. Carlton turns around confused and shocked to be accused of such a thing. "Plumtree keep the woman under control, she know nothing of what she speaks."

Me control Clara? I would have better luck controlling the weather.

"That is something I can no do. She asked you a question, I highly suggest that you answer it honestly." I inform him and he looks at me as if I betrayed him.

"I have never slept with any woman Miss Clara, now if you do not mind I need to finish and get to my place for my wedding." he says about to walk past us.

"Fanny informed us she caught you in the act." Clara says as she stands right in front of him blocking his path.

"Out of my way woman, I have no problem walking right through you." Carlton tells her forcefully.

That is when I come in. I take my hand and put it on Carlton's shoulder and squeeze. He could easily feel the pain I was giving him after all he just needed to answer the question and Clara would leave him be but here he was just making it hard.

"Answer the question, after that we will leave. This time try and speak the truth after all you are in a house of God." I tell him as I squeeze a bit tighter.

"She is mistaken, Fanny is my bride and I would never dishonor her in such a way." Carlton says as he escapes my grip and walks out of the room.

Clara looks at me with a raised eye brow clearly telling me she didn't believe a word that he said. Still the wedding starts with a much sober Bride and the groom standing in his rightful spot. Standing at the back of the church I could see but barely so I decided to move up just before the bride entered. I am only four rows from the alter and I can see Clara waiting. Standing there in a dark blue she still looked like an angel to me. The bride walked past my eyes but as I searched the room I noticed that Lord Land was not here.

"Dearly beloved..." the Priest started but I didn't pay attention instead I saw Clara look my way.

Never had she give me this much attention. What had changed? Just as the priest said speak now or forever hold your peace something very unexpected happened.

"I object!" a loud voice calls out from the back of the church.

Everyone turned back to see a young woman with long blonde hair dressed in high fashion storming down the isle right to the alter. No one had any idea what was going on. The woman grabbed the groom and began to drag him down the isle towards the door. Everyone followed in suit. Mostly everyone I stayed behind as did Clara. We watched as everyone went to the window.

"What will happen now?" Fanny asked as she looked back to Clara and I perfectly fine.

"It would be a shame to waist a wedding." I hear Land's voice say as he walks out of the corner I didn't see him in. "What do you say Clara? I am fully healed and ready to become your husband."

All the focus now went to Clara as he eyes widened. What could she possibly be thinking? He was right everything was ready. Their wedding could take place right here and now and I would lose my chance with Clara forever. Surprising me she looked right at me almost as if she were confused on whom to chose.