Chapter 27

Jane's POV

The policemen was busy taking statements from both Westly and Angelica. The room in the air was so full of tension, it could have been cut with a knife. There were two of them and to make sure the stories were not corrupted by another, they conducted themselves in different rooms. Restless I went back to Clara's room where Plumtree was now fast asleep, his head resting on the bed and his lower half of his body upon the floor. Walking up to Clara I couldn't help but feel guilty, this woman wasn't from her and it seemed since the moment she arrived she hadn't gotten a moments peace. Placing my hand lightly against her head I was relieved to find there was no fever. She just needed rest and it seemed she was getting an abundance of that. A dull knock on the door made me look up.

There stood George with a sullen look upon his face. He looked terrible, his hair was distorted and vest opened. He looked as though he had a worse night that any he had ever faced before, even on the battlefield. Clearing his throat I could see the tears that were threatening to spill from his eyes.

"Is she alive?" He whispered, so soft I could barely hear him.

"She is, she just needs rest, that's what the doctors says. There are two policemen downstairs who wish to have a word with you, Mr. Plumtree and Clara whenever she awakens. Do you remember anything about last night?" I ask as I cautiously make my way over to him.

Shaking his head he seems more distraught then before. The drinking must have put him in a haze to a point he either didn't want to remember or simply could not. A groan made up both look over to Clara. One of her arms moved up to her head, we quickly went over, waking Plumtree up in the process as we all waited to see if her eyes would open. Finally after a few moments and a few deep breaths her eyes opened and she chuckled looking up at the three of us.

"Did I die?" She asked as she looked between the three of us.

"No, the force of the explosion knocked you out. The doctor said you needed rest but no serious injuries." I comfort her as she slowly sits up.

"That was something, I remember the fire and running out of that place but what could have caused an explosion?" Clara asks pointing out a good point.

Everyone looked to George who looks confused as he tried to remember what in his home could have caused such a thing. He shrugs unsure what to say as another knock on the door makes them looked over to see Westly and one of the officers.

"We are ready for the next two witnesses, if you please." The officer asked kindly.

George nodded and went to the officers. I looked to Plumtree and nodded, I didn't think Clara was ready to go too far anytime soon. He kissed her hand before joining George and the officer and they disappeared into the hallway. Westly ran right over to Clara and she chuckled.

"You still run to me so quickly?" Clara laughed.

"I was very worried about my friend however, I did hear Angelica's comment before she went to the kitchens. She was commenting about how concerned she was in her position, that if something ever happened to Lord Land that she feared George would annul their marriage so he could come and be with you Clara." Westly says and both Clara and I look at one another shocked.

"We don't even know if he was there, you and James searched and found nothing." Clara said as she looked back to Westly. "I hate to ask this of you Westly but if you can follow her, find out anything you can. I just know deep down this all goes back to her."

Nodding Westly stood and smiled.

"I will do all I can, please keep safe until I can find out more."