Chapter 12

Clara's POV

Even knowing as much as I did about history for some reason this war only brought blanks to my mind. Really I didn't remember a thing about it and that was bothering the heck out of me. I wanted to know what was going to happen and if George would every be able to return to me. If I was still here of course. Sighing I sit up in my bed and look around my room. Jane had invited George and his father to send the night here since there was a horrible freak storm pop up.

"Of all the nights for a thunderstorm?" I question as I stand up and walk to the window just as lightning went across the sky.

I decided to take a walk to try and tire myself out. Once outside my door I heard the loud thunder roll. I always hated storms and that didn't change even though I was in a different time. I could hear a noise coming from the kitchen though. Walking inside I can see a man with his back turned to me looking out the kitchen window above the sink.

"Can't sleep as well?" I ask just curious to know if he was suffering like I was.

The man turned around and turned out to be George as well. He looked different than he did earlier. Almost as if he was afraid of something, not that I blame him. Anyone about to go to war would have troubles and fears. I wouldn't wish going to war on my worst enemy.

"Forgive me, I did not know you were awake at this hour." he tells me walking to the small kitchen table and motioning for me to join him.

"Something seems to trouble you, would it not calm your mind to confide in someone?" I ask him as I walk over and sit down in the chair beside him.

"Nothing you need to worry about, all soldiers get these fears before they go to war." he tells me as he tries to look me in the eye but looks away at the last minute.

I feel really bad for him and I wish there was something that I could do to cheer him up but what could I do? I didn't know but I was determined to find out. Though I hadn't known George long I knew I wanted him to be someone important in my life here. I put my hand on top of his as he does look at me this time.

"You can trust me, I promise not to tell a soul." I tell him as I cross my heart and give him the most sincere smile I can.

"War, I have been in battle before and it is awful. Men everywhere that are either injured or dying and the only ones without any wounds at either the higher class or the cowards that ran away. Knowing I have to go back to that and might not come back scares the living daylight out of me." he admits to me and I can tell it took him a lot to trust me.

I stands up and then kneel down beside his chair taking his hand in mine and placing my free hand on his arm. This was what my body told me to do to comfort him so I went with it. George looks at me a bit confused but I didn't care as long as he knew I was there for him.

"I have never been to war or battle so I cannot comment on that. However I know you will make it back, you have your father to come back to and take his place. That must be something to look forward to isn't it?" I question.

The next moment George stands and takes me in his arms. A part of me was shocked by this action and even question if he was mad at me for what I just said. Oh dear I didn't mean to make him upset I was just trying to calm his nerves. Ugh way to go Clara!

"A title is just a word. Having someone to return to is something much more worthwhile." George tells me and then our lips meet again.

George was different from any man I had ever met. He didn't hide anything from me. Yes he was somewhat shy at times but when I asked him to be honest with me he always was. He really should teach a class to men from my time. I felt him wrap his arms around me and I was surrounded by his warmth.

"Then you come back to me." my lips reply as they barely separate from his.

George looks me in the eyes and I am guessing he can tell I am serious. He grabbed me again and kissed me deeper than he ever had before. I followed his lead and his kiss was something I never wanted to forget or to stop. In my time we would have probably gone a lot farther but this was different. This was something I wanted to cherish.

"I swear to you, I will return home to you." he tells me as he looks me in the eyes.

The next morning I could hear Fanny talking very loudly about something. I am sure it had to do with Plumtree since he was all she ever talked about. Maybe the poor man finally gave in and decided to bite the bullet and marry her. If so may the odds forever be in his favor. I giggle as I enter the dinning room to see Jane, Fanny, Plumtree, George and Lord Land already sitting and eating. I take my seat which is right next to George as Jane smiles at me.

"Yes, I do say spring wedding are usually the most enjoyable." Fanny comments as she continues to eat her food.

Should have known it had something to do with weddings. Poor Plumtree if he doesn't give in soon I don't know what Fanny will do. My poor sanity as well as Jane's will be the ones to suffer if he doesn't do something quick. I begin to eat my meal as Plumtree looks my way. He is giving me a cold stare and I did get a strange cold feeling down my spine. Then I felt someone take my hand under the table. Looking over I see it was George who did it. He was probably trying to calm me down.

"What are you going to do with your days up until you leave?" Plumtree asks directing his question to George.

"I am going to spend as much time with Clara as I can. Once I return then if she'll have me we shall pick up where we left off." George says trying not to let Plumtrees question get to him.

"What is she were married by the time you return?" Plumtree asks knowing that this is getting to George.

"I highly doubt that will happen." Jane says speaking up in my defense I suppose.

Everyone then looks to Jane. Some of us are shocked while the others are confused. Jane just takes a sip of her drink as she smiles but then everyone has to hear her explanation.

"I believe that what Clara and George have is quite genuine. After all Clara just doesn't give her heart to anyone. Nor ask them to return to her." Jane replies with a smile. "I can already tell these two have something we all should be looking for."

"How is that possible? They just met?" Fanny questions with a sour look upon her face.

"Love at first sight dear niece. It does exist for it sits before us now." Jane replies back to Fanny who now stares at George and I.

Love? Was it possible that I did love George? Thinking back even on the short time together I started to feel my heart become more excited whenever I thought about him. Though he was sitting just beside me thinking about our kissed made my heart sore. Oh no, could this really be love?

"Spoken like a true writer Miss Austen. What if Miss Clara did wait for him and he did not return to her? Poor Clara would be heart broken." Plumtree says speaking up in is arrogant voice.

"I would be sure that Clara knew I would want her to move on and be happy, even if she wasn't able to have a future with me. I would still want her to have one." George says as he squeezes my hand.