Ch. 6 The Solace Family, Her Kingdom's Enemy

Ivy watched as clouds drifted over the sun, darkening the small clearing she had found in the woods close to the palace. The palace was a cage. A beautiful cage at that. But, it just didn't suite her, after growing up in the woods it felt strange that she would be allowed in such a luxurious place. A rustle in the surrounding bushes alerted the fox hybrid female to a male's presence.

"Ahem, excuse me, Lady Ivy?" The female turned to see another fox hybrid. A male fox hybrid.

"Who are you?" Ivy growled.

He held his hands up, "Hey! I just was wondering if you'd like to go to the dance with me! But, if you're going to be like that, then never mind!"

Alex stormed out of the clearing and Ivy just sighed and thought about the odd encounter. His crimson hair was messy-much like her red hair, although her's was a lighter shade,- his deep blue eyes shone with so many emotions compared to her dull hazel eyes. His attire was that of a normal traveler, a gray shirt, and dark blue jeans as well as brown leather boots. His fox features were normal, fox ears and a matching crimson tail with a splash of white on the tip.

Ivy sighed again and stood up, stretching then sprinted after him. However, she misjudged the distance Alex had gone and almost immediately slammed into him. He yelped in surprise and Ivy screamed bloody murderer. Unfortunately, they began to roll down the hill gaining to much momentum to stop. Alex held Ivy by the waist and squeezed his eyes shut, feeling motion sick.

Ivy noted the way Alex held onto her but thought nothing of it as she saw his face. She quickly determined that he was motion sick. She smirked and felt bubbly with excitement. She pressed her lips together-her screaming coming to an abrupt end-and in spite of herself she began laughing. She laughed the whole way down the hill while Alex held her tight and tried to keep his lunch down.

At the bottom of the hill they finally stopped and sat up, still surrounded by trees. Light filtered through the leaves above them. Alex still held onto Ivy tightly whimpering with his eyes still squeezed shut, very tightly.

"You can let go now." Ivy said crossing her arms.

Alex shook his head in response and buried his face further into her shoulder.

"Alex, if you let go of me, I'll be your partner for the ball." Ivy grudgingly stated.

Alex let go immediately and sprinted to the nearest bush and emptied his stomach. Ivy just smirked and got up, dusting off her clothes-a light blue shirt and gray pants-although they had just rolled down a very large hill and there were now multiple mud stains on their clothes. She also noticed there were a few dead leaves and twigs in Alex's hair and when she ran her hand through her own, she noticed her hair was littered with leaves, twigs and small rodents.

...Well, not small rodents but, it was bad.

~

*Earlier That Day*

Princess Opal of Solace Kingdom looked out the window of the royal carriage transporting the Solace royal family to the Lox kingdom palace for the ball King Ty hosted. She tore her gaze away from the blue sky and surveyed her family.

Her brother Prince Brice, had gravity-defying blonde hair and ice blue eyes. Despite his perfect reputation he didn't bother hiding his real self from his sister. She hated him for his involvement in the Lory and Solace kingdom war. He individually was behind the capture and killing of all of the Lory kingdom citizens. It was an effective strategy-it made many soldiers abandon their troops to search for their loved ones-but when Lory kingdom didn't retaliate with a low blow such as that, Princess Opal single handed stopped the attacks.

Princess Opal herself had blonde hair-not as bright or uncontrollable as her brother's-that had a natural wave to it and stopped half way down her back. Her eyes were a golden caramel that could match her golden waistband. Her dress was a long emerald green, the sleeves long and slender.

Princess Opal's mother, Queen Maria wore an elegant long sleeved golden dress. Queen Maria was the only member in the immediate family that had brown hair. She had short brown hair and deep hazel eyes. Her hair was just like Prince Brice's, messy and always out of control. She could never show up in public without perfect hair, therefore her slaves had spent hours earlier that day getting the Queen's hair to work for them.

King Eric seemed very bored with the whole ordeal. He was not one for public appearances. Neither of her parents enjoyed being in public. Prince Brice did. King Eric had blonde hair, identical to that of Brice's. Minus the uncontrollable part. His eyes were an ice blue, and as of now he wore a fancy suit, already prepared for the ball. Unlike Princess Opal and prince Brice, they would get ready at King Ty's palace.

Princess Opal looked out the window again and caught sight of the palace. She sighed in relief and continued to ignore Prince Brice's conversation with her parents and looked ahead she could almost feel the freedom from her annoying brother.

The carriage slowed to a stop and the queen, the king and the two siblings exited the fancy carriage. King Ty, King Jason and King Sky all stood at the top of the staircase to greet them.

As the total Solace family reached the top and began making conversation with the three kings. Her mother and father engaged in a conversation with King Sky. Prince Brice made small talk with King Jason. Which left Princess Opal feeling forced to talk to King Ty.

"Hello king Ty. It's nice to see you again." She said being the conversation starter.

"Indeed, how are you Princess Opal?" King Ty asked discreetly pulling her away from the group.

Before she could answer a scream pierced the air. Everyone froze.

Princess Opal did a quick survey of her surroundings. There were no threats and no member of her family was emitting the noise. It stopped as suddenly as it started.
Then a blonde girl sprinted past them and down the hallway. She turned the corner and there was a shattering sound and King Ty followed after her, his hand grasped rightly around Princess Opal, making her run along.

They both stopped and looked out the broken window. King Ty shook his head, "Never mind what I was going to tell you. I better go make sure she's alright."

With that king Ty jumped out the window leaving Princess Opal very confused.

"Well... I suppose King Ty is alright..." She said looking over the edge. She saw no bodies. That was something.

(Word Count: 1,147)