Entry 8 - A Royal Rivalry

If you know anything about greek mythology, you know that the gods get pissed off pretty easily. Sometimes with each other, but especially toward humans.

And one thing that was particularly offensive to them, was thinking you knew when things couldn't get any worse. If you made this mistake, they would do everything in their power to prove you wrong.

I think I'd been pissing off some gods recently. Luckily I had a fairy godmother who was willing to bargain for me.

♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ ♕ 

My day had already started out pretty badly. I was late to school because I forgot to plan my outfits for the week, and when I went for my routine coffee this morning, someone spelled my name without the "e". This never happens unless someone who works there is new. Everyone is very careful not to mess up my orders.

I made my dramatic entrance as usual, but for some reason, no one was paying attention. I adjusted my hair and made my way to the front doors, where normally, someone was there to open them for me.

Instead I stood in front of the door, awkwardly staring at my reflection while some freshman girls glanced at me curiously.

I clenched my jaw. "Hey, you." I snapped at one of them.

The girl flinched. "Me?"

I rolled my eyes, annoyed. "Yes, any of you. What's going on?"

They stared at me dumbly.

I sighed. "Why is there no one here?"

"Everyone's inside with the new girl."

I felt a momentary panic before composing myself. "Everyone?"

They nodded solemnly. I yanked the door open and stormed in. True enough, there was a large crowd in the hallway, with Blondie at the center. I walked slowly toward her, as cautiously as you would with a large predator.

Upon closer inspection, I saw Blondie opening a locker right next to mine. My girls were surrounding her.

I cleared my throat and the group paused. Everyone's eyes flickered up to mine and Blondie smiled her sickly sweet smile. "Hey, locker neighbor."

"Hayden," I greeted less enthusiastically. "What a lovely surprise."

She beamed at me and I redirected my glare toward the girls surrounding her. Their eyes darted back and forth at each of us, trying to decide which of us had more power.

Gemma was the first to walk back to me. Then Adrienne followed, and soon enough, the rest were hesitantly back at my sides.

Hayden watched us all with a thoughtful expression. She steadied her experienced gaze to mine and smiled again. "Everyone's been so welcoming here, I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you."

Her threat, though very subtle, was there just enough for me to pick up on it. I narrowed my eyes at her as she made her exit down the hallway. Once again, no amount of people staring at her seemed to faze her. As the crowd around me started to disperse, I noticed quite a few civilians headed in her direction.

The girls redirected their attention fearfully back on me, waiting for me to say something. I turned and paused to gather my words. "We all agree that she's obviously been queen before right?

Their expressions became slightly hopeful, expectant. They nodded.

"And it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to say she wants my crown, is it?"