Chapter 1- Taken

'The Fire Nation is winning, and Sozin's Comet is almost here.' A light and airy voice speaks in the darkness, layers of ancient knowledge and wisdom rippling through the air.

'The balance has to be restored. The Avatar is still asleep, he must be awakened before Sozin's Comet arrives and gives the Fire Nation the power it needs to finish what Fire Lord Sozin started.' A second voice joins the first, the lilting tones of a mother. This voice conjured up images of the fertile earth, yet it had the undertones of hard, strong rock.

'I agree, we cannot let the world become unbalanced. Yet I fear the Avatar may not be strong enough alone....'

'Are you suggesting what I think you are?' A third voice, a masculine one of heat and energy speaks out.

'I am suggesting nothing. Merely saying that the Avatar may not be enough to save the world.'

Silence in the emptiness met the wise voice. The congregation pondered the statement given to them.

'I...may have an idea.' A feminine voice as silver as the moon spoke out tentatively. 'What if...we brought someone in, and gave them the power they needed to assist the Avatar?'

'Do you mean giving a mortal the same power as the Avatar? The ability to bend all four elements? Because that would be the only way for someone to be powerful enough to help,' the fiery voice questioned.

'Well...yes, I suppose so. They would be one of kind though, the only other person with the power of all the elements on their side,' the silvery voice answered.

'They won't be able to be from this world though. The Universe wouldn't allow it,' the voice of earth said.

The sound of something shifting in the darkness could be heard, like the sound of wings being opened and shut.

'So we bring someone from a different world to help the Avatar. Someone from a world that is more diverse, and is not divided by the elements,' a cool, flowing voice of water suggested. 'I think my twin is right. We will need another mortal to assist the Avatar.'

'It would have to be a person with a strong soul, able to resist the temptation of evil and power,' the voice of the moon said quietly.

'It will be cruel, to tear that soul from its world and put it in a completely different one. We won't be able to bring them back,' the motherly tones of the earth warned.

'Well, it is either that or the destruction of the Avatar's world.' The voice of power and flame said with a tone that was absolute.

'Very well. We have no choice. Choose a strong soul, and hope it shall be enough.'

oOo

'Come on Gabe, hurry up so we can get inside! It's creepy out here in the dark.' I shivered, even though the breeze was warm as it rustled the leaves of the gum trees and the crickets were chirping in the darkness of night. It was a beautiful late summer's night, but I just wanted to get inside like my parents. I turned back to see that my younger brother has finally shut the door of the car, and is making his way across the deserted street.

'You don't have to be so impatient, Mia. I was coming.' Gabe had a frown on his freckled face; he never liked being hurried.

'Oh, stop sulking. I just want to get inside where there are lights. You know I hate the dark,' I grinned at Gabe in a teasing way, which Gabe returned. We started walking towards our drive way, when all of a sudden the air started to crackle and pop, and the lights of the street blacked out, plunging us into darkness. By the light of the stars and the half moon, I saw something I refused to believe. A hole was starting to appear, its edges rimmed with crackling blue energy.