Chapter 33 pt 2 - Chucking Saber-Toothed Moose Lions

And now I shall tell you the story of how I died.

Not literally, because otherwise this would be a rather short and tragic tale, but bear with me. I just want to be a little dramatic. It was, after all, a rather dramatic day if I'm honest.

No, let me tell you the story of how a certain Avatar and twelve-year-old earth bender gave me the biggest heart attack of my life — and considering what is about to come later in the story, dear reader, this is saying something.

It all started when Katara returned from camp, eyes filled with worry and a frown darkening her tanned features. 'Have you guys seen Sokka?'

I wiped sweat from my forehead, eyes squinting as I struggled to regain my breath. Toph was putting me through a punishing circuit of earthbending stances, and even though it wasn't a particularly warm day, I had shed all my outer layers and was currently drenched.

'No', I panted. 'Wasn't he out getting food?'

'Yeah, but he hasn't come back and the sun is about to go down,' she replied, eyes scanning the barren earth behind me. I noticed Aang wasn't with her.

'Where's Twinkletoes?'

Evidently Toph had noticed the missing Avatar too. Her tone was almost challenging; she was still annoyed with him. I silently hoped he was well hidden.

'He's meditating,' Katara said, still slowly scanning the land around us. I started to feel a tinge if worry in the pit of my belly. Despite his goofy nature, Sokka was responsible and knew to be back well before the sun started coming down. Anything can happen out there: Fire Nation being the predominant threat.

'Ok, Katara, why don't we split up and go looking for him? Maybe Kai will be able to follow his scent.'

Kai heard his name and came bounding over, almost tripping over his gangly legs. Katara bent down and scratched him behind the ear.

'Hey Kai,' she said, voice soft. 'Sokka is missing. Can you find him?'

Sok Sok hunting?

He was. He should have been back before now. We are worried he might be hurt.

Kai turned his head, nose up and sniffing the air. There wasn't a breeze, so nothing carried on the wind. No smell, no sound; it was silent. Which annoyed me to no end. It brought no images and couldn't speak to me either.

I will find him.

And off he went, head down, his focus becoming razor sharp as he put his powerful nose to use. Katara glances up at me and I nodded.

'He'll find Sokka.'

oOo

We all split off, following Kai's vague direction — Katara went off to notify Aang, while Toph disappeared into the land surrounding us. I was doing my best to keep up with Kai, who had his head down and ears pricked, tail up and wagging as he followed Sokka's trail. His mind was a busy hive, buzzing with activity as the smells pinged around his powerful nose. It was difficult for me to make sense of it all, the complexity of the information Kai was picking up was far beyond my human senses.

Sometimes I wondered how humans managed to survive long enough to become apex predators; we are virtually blind, deaf and senseless compared to most animals. Especially wolves.

I bounded up to the top of a rocky outcrop, shielding my eyes from the setting sun as I scanned the horizon. The land here was quite dry, but a river not too far from us provided enough moisture to allow a thick crop of bushes and trees to spring up. Knowing Sokka, he would have headed to there.