Chapter 22 - Plot Twist

My breath billowed softly from my lips in a frosty cloud as I gasped, wide eyed, taking in the grand majesty of the ice palace before me. A quiet Water Tribe man had guided us through the waterway streets and bridges of the main residential area, and the peaceful boats alongside the buildings reminded me very strongly of Venice. Of course, a lot colder.

The steps leading up to the magnificent building were clearly made of solid ice, as hard as marble and glittering like a thousand diamonds were buried beneath. Intricate patterns revealed themselves as I looked on for longer, winding their way on the pillars and walls of the palace. As we entered the main room, furs met our feet, somewhat to my surprise. The entire expanse of the hall were covered in furs, varying in shape, size and colour. Pillars rose to the ceiling, doorways leading off the room to unknown places. It was clearly meant to be a gathering place for the entire Tribe, no doubt in both times of crisis and celebration.

On the raised platform at the back of the room, backs turned to a great ice etching consisting of two giant koi fish, sat three figures. The middle was a man in his late forties or early fifties, long greying hair beaded and tied back from his strong forehead, deep blue eyes steady and surrounded by lines on his dark face. His countenance was stern, his posture that of a warrior rather than a politician, but he seemed a reasonable man. (Arnook)

The elderly man to his left had pure white hair, a stark contrast to his tanned skin and grey eyes. His face was blank, but I caught the sharp look in his eyes. He was assessing us, our every movement, and had not missed Aang's tattoos. His eyes flicked to mine, steady, before searching the rest of our party. His hands folded into the sleeves of his thick blue parka and he relaxed his shoulders a little, the corners of his mouth turning down.

The lady on the right suddenly caught my attention, and from the sharp breath I heard from Sokka, she had caught his attention too. I was stunned by her immediate beauty; her stark white hair falling well past her shoulders in two plaits, sections looped in traditional Water Tribe fashion. Her face was peaceful, and she was slightly fairer skinned than the men next to her, softer in appearance and countenance. Her eyes were clear and bright, her lips pink and naturally upturned. My eyes shifted to Sokka, and I was somewhat amused to find him completely engrossed in the lady above him.

The unnamed Water Tribe man stopped in front the platform and bowed; we followed suit.

'Chief Arnook, Master Pakku, Princess Yue. Greetings.'

They nodded in return. The man turned to us, gesturing to Aang.

'The Avatar has come to our Tribe, along with his companions Sokka and Katara of our sister Tribe, the South, and their companion Amelia.' After this short and punctual delivery, the Tribesman withdrew, giving us full access to the three people in front of us. The middle man, who I took as Chief Arnook, rose from his sitting position and bowed reverently.

'Avatar Aang, this is a true honour.'

Aang bowed in return, his customary smile on his young face. 'The honour is ours, Chief Arnook. We have travelled very far to be here.'

The Chief nodded. He raised a hand to the lady sitting next to him. 'This is my daughter Princess Yue-' she smiled a greeting- 'and this is Master Pakku, our head Water Bender.'

Master Pakku bowed his head slightly, no expression crossing his features.

Aang beamed, and I felt elated. Katara was almost buzzing she was so excited, barely able to contain herself.

'As I am sure you know,' Aang started, taking a step forward, 'I need a waterbending teacher. So do my friends, Katara and Amelia. We would be honoured to be your students, Master Pakku, if you would take us.'