Chapter 11- Off we go again

'Zuko!'

Everyone froze and turned towards the voice, even I stopped struggling for a second. Aang stood at the entrance to the village defiantly, Katara next to him with wide but determined blue eyes.

'The Avatar,' I heard Zuko whisper beneath me, and I could see the cogs turning in his head. He couldn't fight the Avatar with someone over his shoulder, could he? So he would have to—

'Ow!' I yelped indignantly as I was dropped to the ground by Zuko's feet, and I gave him a resentful glare as I rubbed my shoulder.

'That was unnecessary,' I said sharply, but Zuko was already striding towards Aang, fists raised with flames curling around them. I quickly scrambled to my feet as Aang moved into position, brow lowered into a concentrated gaze.

I ran onto the deck of a house, Katara dodging soldiers and fireballs to reach me.

'Where is Sokka?!' she yelled above the sound of fire, her hand gripping my shoulder.

'I don't know!' I answered, my eyes riveted on Aang and Zuko spinning and twirling, battling each other with their respective elements. Aang seemed to have misplaced his staff, so he scooped up a pair of golden fans that had been dropped by one of the Kyoshi warriors, and with a huge gust of wind flung Zuko into a pile of debris.

Aang found and picked up his staff, opening it to glide into the air.

'We need to get out of here,' I said to Katara as we went around the side of the house. The Kyoshi warriors were getting back at the Fire Nation soldiers, but flames were consuming the village.

'We need to get to Appa,' Katara said, her eyes frantically searching for her brother as Aang appeared beside us.

'But we can't just leave,' he said, his grey eyes mournful under the smudged smoke.

'If we leave, Zuko will follow us,' I said, my hand on his arm. Katara nodded.

'I know it feels like we are running away, but it is the right thing to do Aang. If we stay, so will Zuko.'

Aang's eyes were downcast and exhausted. It reminded me that he was only twelve years old, and was doing things no child should.

'You get Appa,' I said to him and Katara, my body flinching at the sounds of flames and burning wood. 'I'll find Sokka. Meet back here in five minutes!'

Without hesitation Aang took off on his glider, while Katara ran to where we had been staying, no doubt to get our supplies. I took a breath and whirled around, eyes skimming over the wooden houses and rubble caused by the fighting in the main street.

'C'mon Sokka, where are you,' I muttered as I skipped over bits of debris. I dodged a stray fireball as I left the relative sanctuary of the houses, but I didn't have long to look. A soldier came charging at me, his bone white mask giving him a dead look as he raises his fists.

My brow lowered and I raised my hands in reply, wasting no time in sweeping a wave of air at him. He twirled at the last second, the air only clipping his shoulder. He punched a succession of fireballs at me, but I managed to dodge them all, the searing heat making me grit my teeth.

I jumped and flipped over him, but he was quick and was ready for me with a blast from his foot. I barely managed to avoid it, the heat blackening the cloth on my arm.

'I must say, this reminds me of our dance,' the soldier said, and I frowned at the familiar voice.

'Lin?' I said, my lips twitching as we circled each other. He nodded his head, and I could almost see the grin on his face.

'You have improved,' he said, 'but no hard feeling a when I beat you, right?'

He lunged at me, hands pressed together as the fire curled around them. Time slowed, and, with a move I had perfected with Aang, I leaped into the air and twisted, my leg coming around in a swiping motion. The wind followed it, a gust powerful enough to send Lin flying into the side of a house.

I grinned. 'No hard feelings.'

I turned around again, remembering my objective: find Sokka. I ran around the back of the houses on the opposite side, and I spotted him with Suki. I was about to yell out when Suki bent forward and kissed Sokka on the cheek, then dart up and fling herself into the fray.

Even with the white makeup, I could see Sokka blushing. I smirked.

'Oi, lover boy, it's time to go,' I called out to him, and he looked sheepish. When he reached me we darted across the street to the other side, where Appa was already waiting. As soon as we clambered on board, Appa took off. The scene below us cut shards into my heart.

The whole village was burning, even the statue of Kyoshi. As we circled and made our way towards the water, I felt a tear run down my face only to whipped away in the wind.

'The whole village is just...burning,' I heard Katara murmur. Sokka had rubbed off what remained of his make up, his face set with anger but his eyes sorrowful. Aang didn't say a word, but his face said everything.

'This was the right thing Aang,' Katara said, though I could tell she didn't really believe it. As we flew over the bay, I saw Aang's expression change.

Oh no.

Without warning he jumped from Appa, diving straight down to the water below.

'Aang!' we all cried out, leaning over the edge, frantically searching for him. A few tense moments passed, when suddenly the monster broke the surface of the water, its huge snake like body rising up and on its head, gripping its two whisker-like tentacles was Aang.

'What the hell...' I breathed, flabbergasted. Aang jerked on the whiskers, and the Unagi opened its jaws to let loose a jet of water, the spray reaching the village. I slowly started to grin as I saw the flames go out, and I heard Sokka laugh.

Aang jumped off the head of the Unagi, and Appa swooped down to catch him.

Aang clambered on board with a sheepish grin on his face. 'I know, I know, it was stupid, reckless and dangerous.'

Katara smirked at him. 'Yes it was.' Then she leant over and hugged him, and I smothered a giggle when I saw Aang's face.

'C'mere,' I said, wrapping my arms around him. 'Get in here Sokka!' I laughed, and Sokka grudgingly joined our group hug.

'Tell you what, Zuko must be pissed that he got wet,' I giggled, thinking of his face when the Unagi drenched the village. Aang and the Water Tribe siblings chuckled with me, everyone happy that this had turned out ok.

'So,' Katara said, 'where to next?'

oOo
Short chapter I know, and a long overdue one, but I have some good excuses :P Our internet has been down for ten months now, and I have just finished school. Hopefully I should have more time to write, because I really want this story to get to the good bits!

As ever, please vote and comment!

I.J xxxx