Chapter 7- Training and Tragedy Part 2

We had been flying for a few hours now, with the soft hills turning into steep mountains that towered into the sky. Aang was expertly steering Appa in-between the mountain range, his grey eyes alight with barely suppressed excitement. But, when I looked at the Water Tribe siblings all I saw was foreboding. Well, with Katara at least. Sokka just looked hungry. So I sidled up to Katara, curious.

'Can I ask something?' I said softly, my voice barely audible above the sound of the wind rushing past. Katara looked at me, her big blue eyes worried.

'Sure. What is it?'

'What happened, one hundred years ago?'

Katara frowned slightly and looked away, a brief flash of pain crossing her face. 'I'm guessing you want to know why I don't think going to the Air Temple is a good idea?'

I nodded.

'Well... One hundred years ago the Fire Nation began its attacks, and the first places they went to were the Air Temples.'

I felt my stomach drop. I remembered Iroh mentioning something about the Air Nomads, and I had a feeling I knew what happened.

'The Air Nomads didn't stand a chance,' Katara whispered, her voice filled with sadness, 'not against the Fire Nation. They were wiped out, which is why I was so shocked when Sokka and I found Aang.'

I leaned against the edge of the saddle, trying to process what Katara had told me.

'So you are worried at what Aang might see when we get to the Air Temple,' I said hollowly.

'Yeah. I just hope...I mean, he is so young,' she said, glancing towards Aang, clearly worried for the Avatar. I nodded.

'I know what you mean. I suppose we will just have to wait and see.'

oOo

We flew for a little while longer, and the mountain range morphed even more, becoming tall pillars of rock that looked impossible to climb. I shuddered at the thought of ever climbing a mountain. All that effort and for what? So you could come back down again? I don't think so.

'See, Katara?' Aang piped up from Appa's head. 'I'd love to see the Fire Nation climb up these peaks! There is a reason only Air Nomads live up here.'

Sokka gingerly peered beyond the safety of the saddle, his knuckles turning white with the effort of gripping onto the side.

'Yep. And I think it should stay that way,' he squeaked, sliding back away from the edge, his tanned face pale. I hid a grin at his unease, and turned to face forwards, shutting my eyes and breathing in deeply. Ever since I had discovered my ability to bend air, I could feel my senses stretching further out with every passing day, becoming stronger. It was a glorious feeling, being able to extend my senses into the very air itself, and share in its freedom. 

My eyes opened when I felt a shift in the wind as Appa picked up speed and started to climb even further up the mountains. I heard a shriek come from Sokka's general area, and a snicker come from Katara's as we all gripped onto the edge of the saddle. The wind whipped our hair and clothing into a frenzy as we ascended the mountain almost vertically. It was exhilarating, and I let out a belt of laughter, and I heard and answering laugh from Aang as we shared in the rush of exhilaration only an airbender could feel in the air.

We burst from the top and I gasped. Before us was a pinnacle of a mountain, and perched on top with tall towers and graceful arches was the Southern Air Temple. Its pale white stone and blue patterns gave it a feeling of weightlessness as the gravity defying buildings soared into the sky.