Chapter 3

"If I told you about a land of love...would you swallow it as a remedy?"

― Yunus Emre

Mohammed was driving back home when he heard his phone ringing. He was almost there so he picked up the phone as soon as he reached. He handed his keys to the security guard to park the car.

His house looked nothing like a typical house, it didn't have the warmth most houses had, it was huge.

"Halla Mayed." He said as he opened the front door.

He scanned the living room with his eyes looking for his mother, he saw his mother in her usual spot sitting by herself wearing her traditional jalabya, a scarf on her head and a cup of Arabic coffee in her hands. His eyes softened at the sight of her.

"ahlain, Mohammed, what are you doing?" Mayed asked.

"I just got home, I'll call you back."

"No no, I'll come over, I'm close by anyways."

"Ok." With that Mohammed ended the line and he walked over to where his mother was sitting.

"Halla Amaya." He said as he placed a kiss on the crown of her head.

"Mohammed, how are you?" His mother smiled.

"I'm great, how are you?" He asked as he sat next to her removing his "qitra".

"Good Alhamdulilah." She replied. "You look tired my son." She added.

"I'm fine." He smiled.

A minute later Mayed entered the house after knocking once.

"Your favorite nephew has arrived." He said as he walked toward his aunt.

He hugged her tightly which made her smile.

"Mayed, I can't breathe." She said chuckling.

"Mayed." Mohammed looked at his cousin with irritation visible in his eyes. Mayed rolled his eyes as he let Um Mohammed go and he sat in between Mohammed and his mother.

"Your son is jealous of me." Mayed complained.

Um Mohammed laughed as she nodded.

"I think he is."

Um Mohammed and Mayed were engaged in a conversation for around 15 minutes, while Mohammed was writing a business email, he stopped when he heard his name in the conversation and looked at them.

"So yes my dear auntie I have finally persuaded your son to get married." Mayed nodded dramatically with a smile on his face while looking at his aunt.

"What are you both talking about?" Mohammed said looking at them suspiciously.

"Mohammed why didn't you tell me the great news?" His mother asked.

"What news?" Mohammed looked at his cousin with a stern look.

"I'm so happy, finally!" she said as she walked to her son and she hugged him.

Mohammed looked at Mayed and Mayed simply shrugged.

Mohammed couldn't say anything after seeing the happiness in his mother's.

"Let me call "khalatk" to tell her we're coming to visit tomorrow." She said looking for her phone in between the sofa.

"Khalty?" Mayed looked at Mohammed, then his aunt again.