Chapter Four: A Party, You Say?

Meanwhile, Axe and Jazmine had just arrived at the tavern and had ordered some lunch. Tomatoes and biscuits for Jazmine and some eggs for Axe (who had "had enough of tomatoes for now"). They ate in silence and tried as hard as they could to think of something they could say to the other. It seemed to be impossible, however. Axe sat eating and thinking about his quest and Jazmine sat eating and thinking about her quest. Finally, Axe broke the silence.

"What's your name?" he asked quietly.

"What did you say?"

"What's your name?" he asked loudly enough to be heard over the drunk friends at the table next to theirs.

"Jazmine Law. You're Axe...what was the last name?"

"Dawn. Axe Dawn."

"Okay."

There was silence again as they ate their food and considered what to talk about next.

"I'm glad you helped me with the witch," Axe said. "I didn't know what I was doing, I guess."

"Yeah, you really didn't. You're lucky I came along, otherwise you probably would've been killed."

"Killed is a strong word. How about we say injured?"

"Killed."

"Injured severely?"

"Killed."

"I guess you're right. Still, I don't like to think in that negative way."

"It's not negative it's just the truth. Do you like honesty?"

"Yes, of course."

"Then you could've been killed."

"Fine."

Silence. You'd think that two people who had just met would have things to ask each other or things to brag about, but I guess these two were just awkward.

"Do you know about Sheol?" Jazmine asked.

"Who?"

"He's a monster. I'm going to kill him. It's my destiny."

"Oh, that's nice then. I'm going to solve a mystery."

"Can I get you anything else?" a waitress asked. Axe and Jazmine silently thanked her for interrupting their conversation.

"No, thank you," Jazmine smiled. "I think we're all done here."

"Alright," she said politely. "Though I have to tell you, we have really good cake here."

"We really have to be going," Jazmine replied. "But thanks anyway."

"Sure thing!" the waitress (whose name was Marina) started to clean off the table as Jazmine and Axe headed back into town.

They headed to a small store that featured expensive looking gowns and suits. Jazmine looked around with annoyance, she's never find something she could afford. She was quite wealthy in her own (not so) humble opinion, but she wasn't rich. She didn't have money to waste on gowns. It was a pity too, some of them were quite attractive (though personally I find them all hideous). A frilly gown took its inspiration from lavender and was done primarily in cool colors. An elaborate gown looked like it was going for an autumn flower look. A revealing gown was based on a lotus and accented with a bow (my how I hate bows...). Jazmine was in awe of the supposed beauty. She just knew she'd look great in one of those.

"We'll have to go somewhere," she sighed. "This is too expensive for me."

"I'm glad," Axe replied. "This place is making me uncomfortable."