Chapter Five: That Is Not A Compliment

Axe led Jazmine to his house and they both changed and met in the sitting room. Axe wore his suit and Jazmine wore her gown (This elaborate gown is inspired by the ocean. It has a flared skirt with a loose waist and long narrow sleeves. It is accented with beadwork and she thought it was great. I disagreed, but no one listens to me.)

"Wow, Axe, that actually doesn't look terrible!"

"Thanks, Jazmine, that was really a wonderful comment. Makes me feel all warm inside."

"Shut up, I'm trying to be nice."

"I'll bet you are. Can I just say, you suck at being nice?"

"I saved your ass, you better not be mean to me."

"Hey, you're mean to me."

"I am totally not!"

"Yeah, sure," he laughed before adding what he hoped was a better compliment than hers. "You look good for how hideous that dress is."

"I like this dress!"

"Well, you have-"

"Let's go."

Axe smiled to himself, knowing she had only said that because she couldn't think of anything better to say to him. So this was what winning an argument felt like, interesting. He couldn't say he didn't like it because he did. But he didn't like that it was at the expense of someone else. Perhaps from then on he would just stick to what he knew how to do. Though that would have to wait for tomatoes, he hadn't had any all day and he usually ate three.

The two of them made their way to the castle and waited in the long line to get into the castle. It seemed the whole town was invited to this weird little ball. It was particularly strange because sixty-seven percent of people in Emanon hated to dance and wanted nothing to do with balls. And yet there they were.

"That's her," Axe suddenly whispered to Jazmine. "That's the girl who was wearing a puce cloak," he pointed in Nadex's direction.

"Are you sure? she's wearing a really attractive dress and I just don't think someone wearing something that attractive would wear a puce cloak. I mean, it's puce."

"Yes, I'm sure! She has the same ugly eyes."

"Someone was insulting you and you had the time to remember their- Oh. Oh my, those are ugly eyes."

"See what I mean? Who could forget those eyes?"

"I don't know. I mean, I guess someone could...maybe someone who can't see?"

"Maybe."

As they were talking, they reached the doors of the castle and were finally admitted into the ball. Waking in, Axe and Jazmine noticed two completely different things though they both happened to be princesses. Jazmine noticed Princess Aziza Nine Hundred sitting in her throne.And Axe noticed that a younger princess was sitting near the food with puffy red eyes.

"I have to go," they said at the same time. They looked at each other and laughed.

"Good luck with Princess Aziza Nine Hundred," Axe said with a smile.

"Thanks!" Jazmine replied.

With that, she walked closer to the princess who appeared to be searching the room for someone or something. She gasped slightly when she saw Jazmine looking at her.

"What do you want?" She asked impatiently.

"I just wanted to know if I could have a word with you in private? I have a message from The Glass of Water," that last bit was a lie, but Jazmine knew a princess wouldn't come talk to a stranger without a good reason. Aziza's eyes widened.