Chapter Two

Morgan's mansion was ablaze with lights and music. What had once been a respectful home was now crammed full of teenagers celebrating the end of the year and the beginning of a new life for some, and then summer for others. There were floats in the pool, girls wearing swimwear but refusing to get their hair wet and boys trying to outperform each other with spectacular (or idiotic) jumps into the pool. And it was my moment. I'd been to these before, stood at the edge of the pool and watched the seniors say goodbye to Hallenford life and cheer on to their future, but this time it was my turn.

A hand smacked against my back and I almost lost my balance. Fortunately in turn they grabbed me, pulling me away from a watery fate, "Hey!" Gavin's voice cheered over the music, "Contemplating jumping? I'll jump with you." I frowned as the smell of alcohol wafted over me and I realised it was coming from him.

"Where did you get alcohol?" Morgan was determined for this to be an alcohol free event. She'd even had people search bags of likely subjects that would sneak in the evil substance. But it seemed she'd failed. Gavin's breath embodied that.

"Shhh," he raised a slender finger to my lips. "I will show you the way..." he breathed and waved a hand away from the pool, towards the end of the garden. I hit his finger away.

"I don't drink, it's bad for your performance," I commented, though there was a tease to my voice as he wrapped an arm around my shoulders.

"Come on. You've performed as well as you need to, now just let loose for one night."

"There's more than one way to let loose," I laughed, shoving him away but he refused to let me go.

"Oh yeah..." Gavin mused. "Like this?" 

Without warning he pushed me forwards. I screamed, arms flailing as I fell into the cool water below. I heard people cheering around us before I was completely submerged. The world slowed down as I considered this moment. I hadn't wanted to get my hair wet. Yes, I was being one of those girls. I'd come dressed in my best bikini, for once confident enough to dress for the occasion. Being sporty meant I had a very lean, unfeminine figure. So I guess being under the water covered it for now, but it did mean what makeup I had on would be smudged. Again, a new venture of mine. I was going to kill Gavin.

I kicked to the surface, gasping though only to be splashed by him jumping into the water next to me. I screamed, raising my arms to my face to protect myself but it did little to help; I was already soaking. When he broke free of the water he was laughing and it was loud, "Oh your face!"

"I'm going to kill you!" I laughed despite my anxiety over my now ruined make up. I grappled at him, trying to reach his shoulders so I could dunk him. But he was too tall and I was too light to achieve anything. Some cat calls rose around the pool.

"Oooh, Lucy and Gavin!"

"Finally!"

I blushed but moved away from Gavin as one of our teammates, Philip, swam over to us, "You two chose an odd time to hook up, just before we all move away. Hoping for a whirlwind summer romance?" He wiggled his eyebrows at us both.

"We're not hooking up," I protested, splashing Gavin who was just grinning and finding the entire situation hilarious.

"I dunno, Lucy, that was definitely the furthest I've gone with a girl so I'd quite like to class it as hooking up," Gavin joked and I splashed him harder. 

"It's like incest!" I swam to the edge of the pool, leaving the two boys laughing in the water, "You are disgusting."

"Not the first time a girl has said that to me!" Gavin responded.