chapter 3

• Dedicated to Jordan Mato

The bus stopped at my house. Laura, Ian and I got off and went our ways. As I ran in the house my mother called my name. Being in the rush I was in I ran upstairs pretending I didn't hear her.

"Zoey!" mom called. "Zoey I know you can hear me, don't be like your brother." I smiled because it was totally something Ian would do but the smile didn't last long.

"Yes, Mother!" I yelled back.

"Come down here I wanna talk about this sweet 16 of yours." she replied.

Thats my mother. I really didn't want a sweet 16. But she always wanted one when she turned 16 and she never got one so now shes living her dreams through me. I threw my bag on my bed and ran downstairs to answer moms call.

"Okay sweetie," she started but I inturrupted.

"Mom this can't take to long I have to be down at the park soon."

"Oh thats fine sweetie, I just wanted to know if you like purple or blue frosting on your cake."

"Mom is that even a real question?"

"Right blue, sorry to bother you. Who are you meeting at the park? Is it a boy?" she asked with a typical mom interest.

"Bye mom." I said quick and ran upstairs.

"Bring a Jacket!" she called after me.

I ran into my room to grab a Jacket and fix my hair and put on just some light makeup. (some cover up for my freckles) Taking a good look at myself, it was easy to see the eagerness in my face. I took a deep breath and ran outside. Careful not to slip I started walking to the park. 

"The only good thing about turning 16 is I'll be able to drive." I said to myself and continued walking. As I got closer to the park I felt my heart beat faster and random images of Alec popped into my head. He was flying. He said he knew me my whole life. What if I can fly too? That would be sick. Who knows. Guess I'm gonna find out soon. Note to self. Ask Ian about Alec.

Okay here we go. I have arrived at the park. It was 4:50 so I figured I had 10 min to wait. I strolled over to the swings, trying  not to look like I was about to explode to the people I saw. Hmm. They look a bit farmilliar.

Time has passed and its now 5:10. Did he stand me up? Was he just messing with me. Ooh I hate boys.

I got off the swing and started walking home. As soon as I got up I heard his super amazing voice. "Leaving already beautiful?" I froze in my tracks. He called me beautiful. Hes good. Focus.

I gained courage and turned around still not looking in his eyes in fear of losing myself.

"Its about time you showed up." I said looking at the ground. 

"Yeah sorry. I ran into a bit of trouble." he said apoligetically.

"Trouble? What kind of trouble can you be in? You just got here today." I responded

"You have no idea. And it what I need to tell you." he said. I looked up at him.

He was wearing a black hoodie and dark blue jeans. His hair was pushed to the side showing his beautiful eyes perfectly. I had to look again. Is that blood on his jeans!? 

I tighened myself to stop myself from screaming. I walked closer to him. "What is that on your pants?" I asked in a hushed voice.

"Come take a walk with me." he said in a memorizing voice. I stood strong.

"I'm not going anywhere with you until you tell me what that is." I said standing my ground. 

"Why tell you when I can show you." he responded instantaniously. I questioned following him but we met eyes and I saw how serious he was.