Ch-2 New Friends

EDITED

"Wake up", Char hissed.

Percy jumped, startled by the sound. Fortunately the history teacher was droning on, or as Char said, "imparting knowledge" to the students, so he didn't notice Percy.

It had been a week since Percy had first come to Winston Oak High School.

Char had been a great help throughout. She was the brainy one and the reason Percy wasn't failing already. With her good nature and humour Percy was surprised she didn't have many friends.

"That's because I do not do 'cool' things", she had explained.

Which Percy had later come to know were partying, flirting and smoking. Otherwise the school seemed to be okay.

But Char was a little touchy on family matters which was a reason Percy hadn't visited her house yet. But she had visited his home and had got on with Sally and Paul really well.

Percy was anxious to hide his demigod personality and fortunately he hadn't encountered many monsters yet and hadn't destroyed the school. Yet.

All in all it was going well but Percy really missed Annabeth. He wished he could spend time with her but Aphrodite's statues were taking up most of her time.

Curse her, Percy thought. Wasn't she supposed to ship the two of them?

"Percy! Pay attention" Char poked him in the stomach and Percy suppressed a yell. That girl could poke real hard.

"How can you go to sleep! We're on such an interesting topic, Indian mythology", Char exclaimed excitedly.

Percy mentally groaned. That was a drawback of having a geek friend. Char already knew everything about Indian mythology but that didn't stop her from listening to the lectures.

The bell rang and Percy let out a sigh of relief. He trudged out of the class with Char lingering behind, eyeing the notice board.

Suddenly he heard a gasp and found Char clutching his arm.

"The swimming pool is open! The restoration is done", she squealed.

Percy immediately brightened up. Now that was something. Wait a second...

"You swim?" Percy asked, in surprise.

"I guess I forgot to mention that", Char shrugged, nonchalantly.

What did this girl not do, Percy wondered. Oh yeah, dance. She was as hopeless as Percy was.

"So we'll finally be able to go for swimming after school", Char said, gleefully.

"Oh damn", she said, stopping in mid-track.

"I forgot my paintbrushes. You go ahead for art, I'll be there in a minute."

Percy grinned. Dam. He wished Grover or Thalia were here. With that thought, he walked into the art classroom.

----------------------------------------------

Char ran through the hallway towards her locker, muttering apologies to the people she shoved. She just had to forget her brushes! She quickly turned at the corner and WHAM!

She skidded on the floor and the history book fell out of her hands and landed next to a boy on the floor. The one whom she had banged into. She mentally cursed and picked herself up.

"I'm really sorry", she said, and offered her hand. The boy looked like he wanted to kill her but then he just sighed and got up himself. He had black hair and dark eyes and pale skin. He was wearing black jeans and a white t-shirt with a black leather jacket.

"Ah, Charlotte" said Mrs Whitney, the vice-principal from behind.

"This young man has just joined our school. Could you please show him around?"

Char bit her lip. She badly wanted to attend the art class. It was one of her favourites but she couldn't refuse either.

She put on a fake smile. "Yes ma'am."

"There goes my art period," she muttered, when Mrs Whitney had gone.

The boy coughed.

"Oh how rude of me, I'm Charlotte, but please call me Char. Welcome to the Winston Oak High School and blah blah blah."

The boy smiled a little at this.

"So... let me see your schedule. Oh great! You too have art class right now , now I wouldn't have to miss art", Char said, looking very pleased.

The boy chuckled. "You like art a lot?"

"Yes", Char replied, immediately.

"And that is our current period. So if we make a dash we might not be late. By the way what is your name?"

"Oh sorry, I forgot to introduce myself", the boy said.

"My name is Nico. Nico di Angelo."

------------------------------------------------

Percy was getting impatient. Char should have been here by now. Ms Claire would be here any minute.

And then he heard Char the chatterbox's voice over the crowd.

"Here we are. Oh look, there's my friend. Hey Perce, I found a new boy!"

Percy turned around to face...

"Nico", Percy blurted, his eyes wide and mouth agape.

"Percy?" Nico said, as astonished as Percy was.

"Wait", Char frowned. "You two know each other?"

"What are you doing here?" Percy exclaimed.

"And you are wearing white!"

Nico rolled his eyes.
"A great discovery by Perseus Jackson.Will made me wear it. And sending me here was Hazel's idea. She thinks I need to interact more with people and she told me to go here as a 16 year old."

(AN: Charlotte is 16 and Percy is 17)

"Excuse me but I'm still here", Char huffed, her eyebrows arched and her hands on her waist.

"You two owe me an explanation."

"Uh... well", Percy stammered, not really knowing what to say.

"Percy and I know each other from a camp for ADHD and dyslexic kids " Nico explained.

"Really?" Char asked. Fortunately for Nico and Percy Ms Claire entered just then.

"We'll talk later", Char said, as she picked up her brushes and started to paint.

However, Percy and Nico were much more interested in exchanging information. Nico about Annabeth and camp and Percy about school and Char.

"Hush you guys", Char glared at them.
"I'm concentrating."

Nico grinned. "She would be great company for Rachel."

"And Annabeth," Percy added.
"She is the reason I'm not failing."

"Well thank you very much but if you two don't want to flunk this class you had better paint, Ms Claire is coming right this way", Char said, severely and the two demigods hurriedly started their work.

"Sharp ears", Nico muttered.

"I heard that", Char taunted and Percy chuckled. High school was going to be so much more fun.