Ch - 5 Mysterious Happenings

(EDITED)

By the time the bell rang Percy and Nico were definitely ready to go.

"I'll go get it", Char smiled, and dashed off.

"We aren't going anywhere", Nico grunted.

"I take back my words", Percy sighed.
"She isn't cute."

"I felt like shadow travelling", Nico said, but now he didn't have any energy left.

"I wonder whether I'll be able to stand up and walk again."

Percy managed a smile.

And then out of the blue they heard a scream.

Anna looked up. "Mommy!"

Nico and Percy looked at each other, exchanging glances.

"Monster?" Percy asked.

"Haven't met any since long," Nico said, fingering his skull ring.

"Let's find out," Percy said, Riptide already in his hand, though in pen form.

They had just started to descend the stairs when they met Char half way.

"Oh it's nothing", she said, looking at their faces.

"Mom hates cockroaches", she grinned.

Percy and Nico exchanged looks of relief.

Char smiled mischievously as she held up a cockroach.

"And so does Anna!"

Anna gave a yelp as her sister tossed the insect towards her.

"Monster!" she shrieked and Percy and Nico cracked up.

"Stay here", Char said, with a smile.
"Mom is a little disoriented; I'll go check on her."

Percy nodded but again, Char seemed a little different. Her expression had been a little pained.

Family problems, he thought, shrugging it off. As Char turned Percy's eye caught a flash of golden in her hair. He blinked but Char had already gone.

"It's the sun Percy", he chided himself, and smiled as he saw Nico trying to catch the 'monster'.

______________________________________

A few minutes later, Char came up with her mom behind. She had short brown hair and startling blue eyes. She was smiling at the two of them but Percy could tell it was forced.

"Hello maam", Nico said, greeting her politely.

"I'm Nico di Angelo and this is Percy Jackson. We're Charlotte's friends.
"

"Nice to meet you, you can call me Mrs Ainston," she smiled at them, somewhat more relaxed.

"Are you all right ma'am?" Percy asked.
"We heard about the... cockroach."

Mrs Ainston glanced at Char.
"Oh yes. It was quite a monster."

Char stood up, her face totally blank.

"So guys, let's go for a walk outside."

The boys hurriedly got up. They could clearly see that Char wanted to get out. They thanked her mother and stepped out in the sunshine.

"Charlotte," a stern voice came from behind.

The trio turned.

"I want to talk to you," her mother said, giving Charlotte a meaningful glance.

Char turned towards the demigods and put on a smile. But both of them could see beyond the facade.

"I guess I'll see you tomorrow", she said and walked into her house, leaving them alone, without any answers.

____________________________________

"Her mom seemed...creepy", Percy said, after they had walked a good distance from Char's house, which turned out to be walking distance from Percy's house.

Nico nodded. "Family problems?"

Percy shrugged and they forgot about the matter, chatting animatedly about Camp. Little did they know it was going to be more mysterious than either of them had imagined.

Hey guys! So I wanted to ask you something. Do you want me to continue with pranks and high school for a while or come up on Char's mysterious life in a chapter or two?

I'll be doing high school until I get a response or I run out of ideas....

So VOTE & COMMENT!