Ch - 8 The Attack & Strange Discoveries

(EDITED)

Percy got up with a groan, feeling as if someone has just fed his brain to a hell-hound.

"Finally", Annabeth said, as Percy rubbed his eyes.

"What happened?" he asked, seeing Nico, Char and Annabeth standing around him.

"The cake we ate had some sleeping powder", Nico said, grinning sheepishly.

"It was meant for Anna", Char added.

"But you guys didn't let me warn you."

"We woke the two of you by banging your head against the wall."

Percy looked at Char with wide eyes.

Annabeth laughed.

"No, she's joking", she smiled.

"You woke up on your own."

"After an hour", Nico added.

Suddenly they heard the ringing sound of a telephone.

"I'll get it", Char said, and hurried downstairs.

"So", Percy turned to Annabeth .

"Do you like her?"

Annabeth nodded. "She has such an amazing collection of books, especially-"

"We get it", Nico quickly said.

Annabeth shook her head in exasperation.

"I wanted to talk to you about something", Annabeth said, seriously.

"What?" Percy asked.

But they never got to know what it was for at that moment, Char ran into the room. The face was troubled and she was panting.

"Hey guys, could you look after Anna for sometime?" she asked, as she hurriedly grabbed a sling bag from her cupboard and started tossing some things inside.

"Sure", Nico said.

"What happened?" Annabeth questioned.

"Family problems", Char responded, closing the door.

"Thank you so much, Annabeth can help you with the English project until I come back."

Annabeth nodded and Char dashed out.

"Now that was strange", Percy said.

Annabeth shrugged. "Let's get on that project."

Percy and Nico stared at her.

"You aren't going to take her seriously, right?" Nico asked, incredulously.

"Of course!" Annabeth said and the two boys groaned.

____________________________________

They were halfway through the project when they heard a loud crash. The demigods froze.

"What", Percy said, " was that?"

"Mice", Nick said sarcastically, as Annabeth produced a dagger.

They heard a growl and another smash and Nico and Percy jumped to their feet, their swords already out.

" What the Hades!" Percy cursed.

"We hadn't encountered many monsters until now."

"Well, seems like you stretched your luck to the limit, Seaweed Brain", Annabeth said, as they all ran down the stairs, into the kitchen which was the source of the noise.

" Hellhounds ", Nico stated the obvious. A couple of hellhounds had decided to raid Char's kitchen.

" They look like Mrs O'Leary", Percy sighed, biting his lip. Why hellhounds of all the monsters?

The hellhounds turned, as they saw the trio and snarled at them.

"They definitely aren't like her", Annabeth declared as they lunged at them.

Annabeth had faced numerous monsters. She had fought many hellhounds too but these were clever. They weren't responding to Percy's stupid taunts (go figure) and were able to sniff out Nico from the shadows. And then suddenly she got a brainwave.

" Percy, Nico", she yelled.

"Keep these three distracted!"

"Easier said than done", Nico grumbled, dodging another attack.

But he and Percy tried to round them anyways.

Annabeth opened the cupboard and eyed through the various jars. They had funny looking things. One was filled with a gooey green liquid, another had black lumpy beads. Strange. Finally, Annabeth's eye fell on the jar she was looking for.

" Annabeth hurry!" Percy cried, as he slashed Riptide at a hellhound. His luck didn't pay and the monster only got injured.

"Hold on", Annabeth answered, as she grabbed the jar with silvery-white powder. The sleeping powder. 

" Annabeth!" Percy cried, as a hellhound jumped over his head and ran towards Annabeth.

Annabeth fumbled with the lid, her dagger still in her hand. At the last moment, she hurled the jar at the Hellhound's open mouth.

The hellhound staggered in surprise and eyed the jar with suspicion. Annabeth took advantage of it and jumped onto the Hellhound's back. She barely got on when it started snarling, trying to shake her off.

"Crap!" she said, as the dagger fell out of her reach.

She clutched at the creature's fur, praying that the powder would work faster. Fortunately, the monster had engulfed quite a lot of it and a few seconds later, it slumped, unconscious. Annabeth quickly retrieved her dagger and killed it.

Suddenly she heard Percy shout Nick's name. She turned and saw Nico slumped across the wall, his jacket soaked in blood, and he had a bruise on his head. Percy quickly built a water shield around him as a hellhound jumped onto him and was rebound.

Without wasting time, she ran upto the hellhound and stabbed it from behind.

"Annabeth, watch out!" Percy warned, and Annabeth dived aside and the hellhound crashed into Char's fridge. It crashed open, spilling all kinds of food and containers.

The hellhound growled and tried to get the spaghetti off his face but ended up slipping on a shining jar. The yellow shiny jar Annabeth had seen earlier. She had a crazy hunch to open it. She hesitated as she saw Percy fighting off another hellhound.

Annabeth made up her mind. She had learned to follow her hunches. She waited as the hellhound charged at her and then rolled underneath it, making a run for the jar. She had barely grabbed it when her breath was knocked out of her. The hellhound was upon her. Annabeth lunged at it with her dagger but the hellhound knocked it out from her hand. 

Annabeth flinched from its foul breath as the monster clawed at her arms. As a last hope, she opened the jar and thrust it into the creature's mouth.

Time seemed to slow down as Annabeth watched the golden substance light up the monster who started glowing brightly. With a final yowl it burst and Annabeth shielded her eyes from the bright light as she felt herself carried away by it. Far far away, into darkness.

A cliffhanger! Now the story is really picking up pace and the suspense is building up.

Keep Reading and VOTE & COMMENT!