Chapter Three

~ Unexpected House Guests ~

An unfamiliar black Lexus sat in my parking spot when I pulled Gran's little blue Bug into the driveway. The front door to the house stood open, several suitcases on the porch. Gran's big tabby cat, Bob, did not look happy. Gran hadn't said a word last night about having company over. Who was here? I dreaded getting out of the car. Why did it have to be so cold?

"Thank you so much, Elizabeth. I can't tell you how much I appreciate this."

The guy speaking was off to the left of the doorway. He was tall and broad, with a mane of chocolaty brown hair. Delicious was the word that came to mind when I looked at him, but I didn't go all gaga over him like I had Xavier. At least I could assure myself I hadn't completely lost my mind.

"It's not a problem, Ethan. I'm just so sorry about your house. Did the fire marshal tell you what started the fire?"

"He said he should have an answer in a few days, but most likely it was the wiring. It's pretty old, and I'd planned on replacing it this year anyway. I'm just glad I called ahead and had the heat and power turned on before we got here. I'd hate to have had that fire happen while we were sleeping."

"My word, yes, that was luck." Gran stopped when she spotted me in the doorway. A smile broke out, and she ushered me in. "Close the door, Meli. All of the heat is getting out."

My eyebrows rose. The door had been standing open for who knows how long before I got home. I wasn't the one who'd left it open.

"Let me introduce you to an old friend," she continued, unabashed at my expression. "This is Ethan Warren. He lives a few streets over from us. Ethan, this is Melinda."

He turned those smoky gray eyes on me. They were full of warmth and more than a little surprise. "Hello, Melinda. Your grandmother has told me quite a bit about you." Ah, that accounted for the surprise. Gran never hid the fact that I liked to dress Goth. I'm sure he was a little shocked I was blonde and wearing a pink headband.

"Hey." I nodded to him.

"Ethan had a house fire, so he'll be staying with us for a bit."

I frowned. He might get in the way of my plan. Gran I could get around, but someone I didn't know? Definitely could be an issue.

"Cassie just needed to get away and hide for a bit..." Ethan began.

"Hide?" Laughter followed the statement. "She's not hiding, or I wouldn't be here."

I swiveled to see another boy lounging in the doorway to the dining room. Cute was the first word that came to mind, but cute was an understatement. He was just as gorgeous as the guy standing in front of me. I had to look at him to see it. Ethan sort of took your breath away, and next to him, the newcomer paled, but only for a minute. There was something about his face, something that just wanted to make you smile. And those eyes, ohmygosh, I'd never seen eyes so blue in my life. Nor had I seen eyes so full of rage. Cute he might be, but it was the rage in those eyes that held and caught my attention.

Wait. They had to be witches. No way did I find this many extra cute guys all in one place. Sure, you always had at least one or two gorgeous guys and a couple cute ones in every high school, but not this many. So, witches.

Ethan glared at the newcomer. "You are here because she's too soft-hearted."

"Will you both just shut the hell up?"

A petite redhead came bounding down the stairs. She was about my age. Honey gold eyes, spitting fire, glared at them both. This, I assumed, was the before-mentioned Cassie. I almost took a step backward. The utter power rolling off her was enough to send most people to their knees. She was definitely a witch, a very gifted one, who at the moment was pissed beyond all words and measures.