Prologue

Prologue

-Victor-

"Love weakens us more than anything." I said. "Let her die."

I envied him all my life. Nathan was given love and prestige by all. I was considered the weaker brother. Hell, he wasn't even my brother. Father was insane for trusting him so much.

I hated him. But after all these years with him, I had grown to like him as my younger brother. There was no way he could fight the vampires to protect Kaitlin. I had to stop him from his own death. I knew it was going to take all my strength and it would make him my arch enemy.

"Stop it." He whispered.

"I can snap your neck now. But that won't kill you." I said. I had to stop him somehow. "I can tear you apart but that would be a coward of me. Giving you not fair share of fight and all."

"I don't care about your fight." I let him move my hand away from his neck. He stood up. "I'm going to stop the troops you sent to the village."

"You can't stop it."

"You don't understand. There are innocent families out there." He said. There was pain in his voice that made me wince. "You can't kill them all."

"A war doesn't think about families. Either there is the winning side or the losing side." I said balling my hands into a tight fist. Why didn't he understand a simple point? "You are a vampire. How can you deceive your own kind?"

He stared at me for a moment. I could read his mind. He was being indecisive. The pictures of lost kids, destructed homes were filling his small mind. But then there was the figure of our father. Nathan didn't know what to choose. He closed his eyes and pictured a smiling Kaitlin.

I had to say that she was beautiful. Her lively eyes could make up anyone's day. She was a sunshine that could take Nathan away from his darkness but she was a werewolf. I stopped reading his mind.

"I'm going." Nathan growled with anger and helplessness.

"Where to?" I asked.

"To end it."

I had to stop him. I grinned and let the fangs appear from my mouth. Nathan's eyes went wide when he looked at me. He knew what I was asking for.

"You cannot end this." I said. "This is only the beginning."

I had to fight him.

Nathan didn't want to hurt me but he wanted to go, so he let his fangs come out too. He was going to fight me. A brother who wasn't his real brother but he had always believed that someday I would give him the position.

"You're making this harder for me." He snarled.

I lunged at him, punching him in the stomach. He winced with pain for a moment and recover soon. He punched me on the jaw. He tried to hit me again when I swiftly moved to his back, pushing him hard to the floor.

He disappeared from the floor and I turned around to see him trying to bite me. I held him by throat and raised him in the air effortlessly. I threw him at the wall of the mansion. His scream came as he hit the wall, breaking a part of it.

"You can't fight me." I said. "Give up already."

He stood up shaking his head. He rushed to me and suddenly disappeared. When I turned around I saw him with a sword that was always kept in the hand of a warrior statue in the mansion. He tried to jab me with it. I moved away.