Chapter-3

-Previously in DiT-

"Then why is the mansion named Escoffier mansion when the real people lived there were actually Devries?" I asked.

"How do you know that?" Mom suddenly became serious.

"Umm...read somewhere in a book in the...library." I made that up.

"You read a lot." Mom said simply. "You should have some fun in your life. For example, on your birthday you just stayed home reading a novel. Who does that?"

"Me," I rolled my eyes. Jon and mom had the same brain waves. "I'll just go to my room and do the homework that I got today."

"Fine by me," Mom sighed. "Shoo."

When I went into my room it was pitch dark inside. The widows were closed and the lights were off. Darkness didn't really scare me much but this was kinda spooky. Brushing off the weird feeling, I walked in to switch on the lights.

I felt the presence of somebody behind me.

***

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope."-Martin Luther King, Jr.

Chapter-3

-Karen-

"How are you, Karen?" The whisper made me tremble with fear. I knew that voice. It was soothing as well as eerie. I turned around.

"Why are you here?" I asked. I couldn't see his face. The lights were still off.

I heard the turning of the doorknob. My instincts told me to push past the not-so-stranger guy and run out of the room, but I didn't. I wanted my answers. The dark figure chuckled.

"I'm just checking on you as I had promised, sweetheart." Victor whispered again. He was so close to me. His breath touched my face as he spoke. "How can you just forget me like that?"

A fear crept in my head. I was hoping that it wasn't Victor or Nate who had killed Adam on the school grounds. Was I wrong? Victor was here and that made me think if it was him. I was afraid of the truth. Victor was a real Jekyll and Hyde-charming and funny, and sometimes he was dangerous and a killer.

"I think I might want to turn the lights on." I stretched my hand but cold fingers grasped my hand. A shiver went down my spine. "You're being creepy, you know."

"Karen, I'm here to warn you of what is about to come."

"Umm, let's just talk straight and not be vague." I said folding my arms across my chest. What was the deal with the darkness? Why was Victor being weird? "Why are you not letting me turn on the damn light?"

"You're still the grumpy Karen I knew." I could hear him grin.

"You're still the stupid Victor I knew." I snapped back.

"Listen I should tell you that you're in trouble." He said and I narrowed my eyes on the dark figure. "Don't trust anybody around you."

"That includes you too," I said. I raised my hand and started to push him away from me. He didn't budge, like a brick wall. The stupid vampire was powerful. "I don't trust you, Victor."

"I'm the one who helped you to talk to your brotherly crush Jon in Paris." He said. "I'm the one who saved you from Nathaniel like a thousand times during his blood thirst."

What the hell? Wait...how did he know that Jon considered me his sister? Was it already on the news channels?

"Are you freaking spying on me?" I nearly screamed. "How do you even know that Jon..."