.3.

There was only one word to really grasp Kaneko's style in general.

Reckless.

He spiked in a nearly different manner each time. One minute he'd try a steep spike against the net, which hadn't worked out well, and the next moment he'd try to slant through his blockers. His obvious ineptitude paired with his repulsive conceit made me wonder who had ever wanted him to be their ace. He scored a few times, but it was only because he managed hit the block at the right angle for a block out. I nearly immediately realized the game was weighed pretty heavily in our favor.

Kageyama and Hinata were rather impressive all on their own. Hinata never missed a beat when it counted, and Kageyama seemed just as relaxed and calculating as he would be taking a casual stroll about the gym. Kokowa made contact in nearly every block, and made a few points in spikes. Tanaka's attack power was ridiculous, and Yamaguchi was a damn good receiver when it came down to it, not even thinking of his serving abilities. Ennoshita was solid in his returns, and made it easy for our attackers to spike without worrying.

And I guess I was pretty on fire, too.

The atmosphere that was encompassing the team seemed to be firing me up beyond previous expectations. Nishinoya was keeping me on my toes, receiving like it was easy on his side of the court. Competitiveness welled in my gut every time Kaneko managed to score against us. It probably didn't help that he would keep tossing snarky comments every time they scored, nearly exclusively directed at me. Adrenaline flowed undeterred through my veins.

Then I was rotated into the front.

"Careful, (Boy's Name). Not a lot of good, a libero in the front." Kaneko laughed, and I wanted to reach under the net where he stood across from me and punch him in the gut. I didn't.

"Oh, yeah. Guess I'm pretty useless up here." I chuckled, but I turned to look at Kageyama.

"I'll hit a little above the net, a little closer than normal." I whispered, "I don't normally jump as high as Springs over there." I tossed a glance to the vibrant boy, who seemed to blush a little at the praise.

"Right." Kageyama replied, sounding relatively focused.

The serve came over the net, a typical one easily hit to Kageyama by Tanaka. I realized I was currently in the best position I could hope for to attack. Kageyama took notice of my ready stance, and sent a tentative toss towards the center of the net.

No one jumped for the block.

The toss had been a little low, but nearly perfect in every other aspect. I made solid contact, slamming it down in between Tsukishima, who had jumped to block Kokowa's decoy attack, and Kaneko who stood shocked as the ball hit the ground beside him. Smugness filled me as I landed on the ground again. Kaneko had not quite managed to close his mouth yet.

"Oh, right. Unless I do that." I responded in a falsely pondering manner. He closed his mouth and glared slightly.

"Nice kill, (Boy Name)." Tanaka laughed loudly, offering me a high five that I graciously accepted. "I forgot about your attacks."

"Yeah, common mistake. Probably because you're so small." Ukai's bellowing voice drifted from the side line. "Have your jump heights gotten shorter?"

"You're hilarious. Maybe you should make a career out of it, seeing as the whole volleyball thing isn't really working for you." I laughed back, my tone pretty obviously bitter.

After finishing the set, which we won, I'd managed to score three more points. I felt pride blossoming in my chest each time I thwarted the blockers.

That was my specialty, after all. The only reason anyone ever let me play as a spiker when I was made to receive was because of my aim. Few people have blocked my hits, and none have done it consistently.

Of course, seeing through a block doesn't mean my spikes are invincible. Because of my general lack of upper body strength, I had an average amount of power. Any libero worth something could return a direct hit. Thus explains the bulking attempt.

"Good set, guys. Let's work on spiking drills. Kageyama, you'll go after everyone else. Nishinoya, go receive." Ukai called, and we lined up at the edge of the court. Kageyama took his place next to the net, and Ukai watched from the podium. Noya took a casual stance on the other side of the net, smiling at Tanaka, who was first in line.

When my turn finally came, everyone but Tsukishima and Yamaguchi had gone. I ran up for the toss, which was higher this time, even though I hadn't said anything about it before.

"1.5. Straight and left. Closed and over." Ukai yelled at the last moment before my jump, and I pictured the imaginary blockers he chose. I slammed it in between the invisible arms as hard as I could, but Nishinoya managed a partial receive. The ball flew right, but it probably would have been returned if it were a real game, and Nishinoya wasn't alone.

"Eh, you're still lacking in power, (Boy Name). Maybe you should go to the weight room while we run." Ukai suggested in his coach voice, and I nodded.

"What did he tell you before you hit it?" Hinata asked when I joined him at the end of the line. "Was he using code?" His voice seemed delightfully awe-ridden.

"Sort of." I laughed, scratching the back of my neck sheepishly. "He made it up to come up with blocking scenarios for me to practice."

"Ooh, that's so cool." His eyes glimmered hopefully. "Could you teach me?"

"Sure. The number represents how many blockers there are. In that case, one and a half. The one was straight, and the half was to my left. Their arms were closed, and they were over my spike." I explained, but it seemed to go in one ear and out the other with this kid.

"How do you get past that?" The same shining curiosity was in his eyes, and I felt a little embarrassed at the attention.

"Well, I'd usually aim for the small space between the two blockers, or maybe to the right of the two depending on my position in relation." I only gave a few examples, mostly because I was a little afraid to lose him in the instruction.

"You're like him!" He said suddenly, almost like he was accusing me of stealing something.

"Uh, like who?" I asked, very aware that we'd drawn the attention of everyone in the back half of the line.

"Kageyama! You're both geniuses! Well, except he's not as nice as you are about it." He said thoughtfully, not really noticing my explosively red face.

"Hinata! What was that?" Kageyama suddenly yelled from his position.

"N-nothing, Kageyama!" Hinata jumped nearly out of his shoes, stuttering in fear.

"That's what I thought." He muttered, turning back to his job of setting up a toss for Yamaguchi's turn.