.17.

Ukai knew something was up.

His eyes lingered, ladened with suspicion, on my every motion as I climbed into the car. My skin was obviously flushed, I could feel it, and it was confirmed after a short glance into the mirror of the door. I didn't say anything, and I tried to avoid looking him head on, afraid it would be written on my forehead.

"(Name). Are you okay? What was wrong with Tsukishima?" He muttered, examining my face before turning out of the car park.

"Oh, nothing. Just being Tsukishima." I chuckled, knowing full well just how unbelievable my tone was, but somehow not able to fix it.

"Right. And you? You look like you have a fever, kiddo." His voice had turned humorous, and I knew he was coming to some ridiculous conclusion.

"I'm fine." My voice had lilted unexpectedly, and there was a pause before his reaction.

And then we were both snickering. The lie was obviously false, especially paired with the flippant hand gestures I kept tossing around unexpectedly.

"Right. Whatever, I'll learn sooner or later." He smirked, as if he was already considering the big secret.

Suddenly, my phone lit up and buzzed in my lap, Tsukishima's contact shining brightly.

Has Ukai asked why you're stumbling around like a blushing fawn yet?

I rolled my eyes, quickly turning the screen away from Ukai's field of vision and typing out a quick reply.

Oh, yeah. I just told him something had made me want to vomit.

I locked the phone, tossing it on top of the clothes in my open gym bag. Ukai glanced fleetingly towards me, attempting to watch the road and snoop at the same time. Before I could think of anything else, it buzzed again.

Right, that explains it. You had the most disgusting look on your face...

I scoffed lightly, thumbs darting across the keyboard and sending the message in a matter of seconds.

You didn't seem to have a problem with it a moment ago.

I felt his indecision on what to reply, his silence a tell tale sign of his dilemma.

Touché.

"I wasn't aware Tsukishima could provide such an amusing conversation." Ukai spoke knowingly, smirking at how my girlish grin transformed into a sheepish expression.

"Uh, well, he's, um, y'know..." I tried clearing my throat, mostly trying to dislodge whatever was blocking my ability to produce a coherent sentence, with little success.

"Hey, no need to explain. Just know, there isn't much we can do with a heartbroken player. Play nice." He warned halfheartedly.

I knew he was only joking, for if he knew just how on base he was, he would probably be a little less amiable.

"Haha. Maybe you should watch where you're going." I chuckled, hoping I sounded casual enough as I gestured to his missed turn.

When we finally got home, Saeko was eating takeout and yelling angrily at some unfamiliar action movie on the couch. I had laughed, but, when I looked up at Ukai, his eyes were filled with nothing but affection.