.16.

I hadn't been in the training facility more than a few times since I joined Karasuno. I'd wondered the halls for a solid ten minutes without even a hint at Tsukishima's exitence. Maybe blindly following an already cold trail into unfamiliar territory wasn't my brightest idea, but I couldn't just let him stew in his thoughts, whatever they happened to be.

I didn't want to assume he had figured me out because, after all, it was relatively outrageous. If he was able to find out I was only posing as a guy to play on their team, I would have a bit more respect for him. Then again, maybe he hadn't decided on that at all. The pure unpredictable nature of my situation was enough to send me into the unknown building, navigating on instinct alone.

I was beginning to wonder if he had decided to take a shower, which I was not likely to follow him into, when I stumbled upon an open door upstairs. There was a soft glow emanating from the corner of the room, but the light had been left off. I slid the door open a little wider, and the sole occupant of the room became clear.

He was sitting on a sleeping mat, phone in hand, with his headphones covering his ears. His arms wrapped loosely around his folded legs, his chin resting on his knees, and his gently closed eyes made him seem less irritable. Somehow, even completely neutral, he seemed to be troubled. I guessed that he wasn't actually listening to anything, as my light knock made his lips twitch into a frown.

"Not in the mood, Yamaguchi." He muttered, not opening his eyes even when I took the few steps to bring me right in front of him.

"Guess again." I muttered, trying to sound casual. My awkward chuckle must have seemed extremely forced, because his look was disbelieving once his eyes shot open.

"Oh, god. Why are you here?" He sounded genuinely put out to see me, knocking his headphones off and allowing his forehead to fall onto his kneecaps.

"Oh, sorry. I didn't realize it was angsty teen day." I murmured, sinking onto the floor in front of him. He only looked up at me to send a lazy glare, still looking as if I had ruined his day. "Care to explain why you stormed out?"

"That was not storming." He answered defensively. I didn't say anything, still waiting to see if he would give me an explanation.

"Why did it have to be you?" He groaned, smacking a palm over his face and allowing it to drag down his features.

"Should I know what you mean?" I asked, ignoring the anxiety beginning to burn in my throat as he pondered his answer.

"I imagine you should. It is your fault." I was convinced he was being purposefully dubious with his words, so I decided to examine the Tatami mat beneath me until he wanted to be straight with me.

"No, not really, I guess." He sighed a few moments later. "It's me." I looked up at him, and seeing his conflicted expression offered no solution to his riddles. My eyes traveled to the stack of futons the rest of the team would sleep on, trying not to seem to forceful even when I was dying to get inside that head of his.

"I mean, it's always been just girls. Why are you different?" He laughed, but it was humorless. The idea he was forming in my mind began to take shape, and my heart thumped helplessly.

"What are you talking about?" I breathed, my voice nearly failing me.

"Why am I so... attracted to you?" He exhaled, eyes flashing up to mine effortlessly.

At that moment, I decided there were two options I could choose in order to completely avoid the situation. Option number one: Throw myself from the window to my left. The drop would probably break a few of my bones, but I'd probably still be able to hobble into the distance until I either forgot why I was hobbling or died from dehydration.

Option number two: Feign deafness.

I seriously considered these two options for half a second, before ruling them out. For the most part.

"Oh." Option two was out.

"Yeah. Tell me about it." He groaned, face digging back into the juncture of his elbow.

"So, you think you're gay?" I whispered.

"Only for you, though. Which is odd, because you're kind of a twat." His voice was muffled, and I chose to ignore his insult.

I considered this for a moment. What was I supposed to do? He was my friend, right? I should avoid lying to him, right? He was so obviously distressed it seemed an injustice to lie about it.

Could I trust Tsukishima Kei with a secret so huge?

"Then you aren't gay, Tsukishima. At least, not for me." I committed to doing the right thing, putting my faith in his reaction and tossing aside my inhibitions.

"What the hell could you possibly mean by that?" He didn't look up, and I started to wonder just how lackadaisical he could be.

"If it's only for me, you aren't gay because I'm not a dude." His eyes finally met mine, but I couldn't bring myself to return his gaze. No turning back now. My heart seemed to be attempting option number one, but I stayed planted on my spot.

"Please elaborate." He was confused, that much was obvious, but he seemed to have lost the near-hysterical tone of voice.

"They don't let girls on the guy's team. Ukai is letting me pose as a guy on the team. The school is allowing it, because I'm written in as transgender. But I'm a girl." I admitted, and I still couldn't meet his eyes.

He shifted, and suddenly he was perched on his knees like I was, merely a foot away from me. He looked down on me, and I was beginning to wonder if I should have brought an AED with me from the gym.

"A girl." He said as he lifted my face up so he could look at me head on. It would have been sweet if he wasn't holding my chin between two fingers like he were reading a piece of particularly small text.

"I should have known. You're too pretty to be a guy." His matter of fact, detached tone was the only reason he seemed genuine.

"And you're too pretty to be such an ass hat." I answered softly, and I could have sworn he was going to smile. Instead, he loosened his grip on my chin.

"I'm going to kiss you. Try not to faint." He was leaning in before I made a solid decision on whether or not I could kiss him without exploding.

"Shut up." I muttered just as he came halfway, and my eyelids rippled shut as I closed the distance.