.44.

I expected to see his face set in the same ornery, if not frighteningly cheerful, mask he'd kept up since we played together in Gym three. The same look that feigned polite and somewhat cruel innocence.

When I whipped around to face him, I expected him to look like he was still pretending not to know me.

But he wasn't. His eyes were solemnly dark, betraying the emotions he seemed to be keeping silent for now. His lips were set in a way that seemed more defeated than angry, even though I started to suspect him to be angry at my shunning him.

He stood just off the side in the opposite hallway, and I assumed he'd come out of the small alcove there. Had he been waiting for me?

"Oikawa." I murmured as a safe greeting, wondering if I should have been the one to shatter our polite illusion.

"(Girl Name)." His voice was nearly unintelligible, but the tone was clear as he crossed the space between us with a few short steps. Before I could stutter out some half-baked apology, he was hugging me.

My feet lifted from the ground momentarily, and the world began to tilt and spin.

"God, I thought I'd never see you again!" He began, his words flowing as easily as if he had rehearsed his rattling. "When I never got anything back from you I assumed you'd forgotten me! Hell, you might have!" He laughed, but the pause was short. "I've been waiting so long to play with you again! Why are you here? More importantly: Why are you '(Boy Name)'?"

"Oikawa!" I scolded lightly, my voice reminding me slightly of how I spoke to him as a kid. "Put me down." The command was less than effective considering how I was giggling, but he seemed to get it.

"God, look at you!" He gasped as he let my feet hit the floor. "You're average height now!"

"Did you not expect me to grow?" I smiled up at him, finally getting a good look at his face. "You've finally grown into your ears."

"So mean!" He scoffed, but I could tell he wasn't really stuck on it. "Again," he stated "you're a dude."

"Long story." I rolled my eyes. "Still a girl, just a guy for volleyball. Secretively."

"You know they make girl's volleyball teams, right?" He grinned, and I realized he still hadn't released his hold on my elbows.

"Yes, of course." I laughed a little, feeling lighter than before. "I just wanted to play on their team."

"Karasuno?" He asked, with a wicked sour face. "Why them?"

"Well, originally because they were Ukai's team. Then because of a few videos I watched of their finals last year. A couple players stuck out to me." I shrugged, wondering why his nose wrinkled when I spoke of the interesting players.

"Which ones?" He asked, but I guess he probably already knew.

"Well, Nishinoya, obviously." I started listing on my fingers. "Hinata, too. Tsukishima really shined in a few spots." I paused, considering. "And, of course, Kageyama."

"I thought as much." He sighed, shaking his head wistfully. "Tobio is an impressive little leach."

"Tobio? You know him?" I questioned, wondering if he knew he was still holding my arms.

"Of course. He's my precious little kouhai." He said the words as if they were meant to be a insult.

"I thought I saw that serve somewhere." I grinned, enjoying the way his face crinkled slightly.

"Ugh, I don't want to talk about him." He straightened slightly. "What's going on with you?"

"You would not believe the year I've had so far." I sighed. "Can you believe they made me ace?"

"Of course I can!" He grinned, "I trained you myself."

"I'm not a dog, Tooru." I realized I couldn't actually be upset with him, not now. Had it actually been four years since we spoke? Yet it was still so easy.

"I know, I know." He laughed at my reluctant leer. "You've gotten even better without me."

I rolled my eyes as he paused, but I felt compelled to tell him he'd helped me even when I wasn't with him. Who knows where I'd be without his help? I looked back at him, and the guilt seemed to rush back.

"God, Tooru, I'm so sorry." I groaned, pulling him back into a hug. I felt his spine stiffen a little, and I remembered he knew stoic and frustrated (Girl Name) best. "I was an ass."

"A-A little." He chuckled awkwardly, and I guessed I must have been more of a jerk as a kid. Had I ever been this nice to him?

"This is my first time in Japan again, and I wouldn't have known the first place to go to talk to you." I shook my head a little, pulling away from him again.

"Hey, this works." He smiled one of his token crooked grins and ruffled a hand in my still damp hair. "So does this." He laughed when I swatted his hand away. "You're cute with short hair."

I shook my head a little, not realizing how hot my cheeks were becoming. "You shut up."

"Still can't take a compliment." He mused, laughed as he poked my cheek lightly.

For the first time, the two of us seemed to realize we still held each other.

"Sorry." The both of us chuckled awkwardly, our arms dropping.

"Where did Tsukishima go?" I asked, suddenly remembering the fact that I'd begged for his help.

"Oh, I told him he was needed by your captain." Oikawa laughed a little, looking sheepish. "Hope he isn't to upset when he isn't actually needed."

"Oh." I replied lamely, wondering if Tsukishima would be mad at him.

"Yeah." He shrugged a little. "What was he doing anyways?"

"I was having him keep watch for me, actually." I explained as the two of us started towards the dorms. "He's the only one who knows besides the coaches and you."

"Really? He wouldn't have been my first choice for a confidant." He laughed. "Little grouchy. How'd that happen?"

"Oh, well, it's kind of a long story."