One

Maiya kneeled on the sandy ground of her home planet next to the rest of the villagers. Storm Troopers stared them down, their guns held at the ready. She knew she, and the others, wouldn't survive this. She closed her eyes tightly as tears threatened to pour out. No, she wouldn't give them such satisfaction. That's now how Grumlock raised her.

A voice resonated through her thoughts. It spoke to one of the Storm Troopers, "Did you find it?"

"No Kylo Ren, it's not here."

"Kill them all," the voice said irritatedly, but not a second later he added sharply, "Wait!"

Maiya felt a burning sensation, as if eyes were locked tightly onto her. She was scared to open her eyes, scared to see the cruel monster that stood undoubtedly before her. She never thought much of death until now.

But knowing she was showing her fear by not looking, she forced her eyes open, the sandy ground filling her vision. Slowly she looked up and right into the owner of the voice that stared at her. She could see no eyes through the black helmet he wore, much more intimidating than that of the Storm Troopers. He approached her, making her tense.

"Stand." It was a demand. She didn't oblige. He held his hand out towards her, taking her over muscle control and forcing her to stand. He was a jedi?

She narrowed her eyes at him. What she didn't know is he wasn't a monster like she envisioned. He was a man.

"What is your name?"

She didn't want to answer, but a tiny pinch of pain in her brain was all the warning she cared for.
"Maiya."

After a moment he drew his outstretched hand into a fist, and she fell right into his arms as blackness overtook her.

"This girl is being taken prisoner until I find her of no use." The Storm Troopers said nothing, only obliged his order as he said over his shoulder, "Now kill them all."

***

Maiya soon awoke in a bed in a dark chamber. She wasn't chained, she wasn't injured. Although, her muscles were tense...

She pushed herself out of the rather comfortable bed and pressed her feet onto the cold, dark floor. There wasn't much, if anything to the room. A bed, a chair, and a pedestal where a damaged, smashed helmet resided.

Where was she? Why was she here?

Not even a second later and a door opened, revealing the same jedi whom had spared her.
"You," she breathed. She was scared. He couldn't be good, surely this whole thing was a trick!

He stopped a few feet away from her. "How are you feeling?"

Her eyebrows shot up. What kind of question was that?

"Uh..."

When she didn't form an answer, he simply continued, "Well, I presume. You are up, afterall."

She studied him carefully. "You needn't be scared. I do not intend to harm you, Maiya."

His words, oh so sincere... But how foolish she would be to allow herself to be deceived by some jedi traitor. That clearly is what he was, afterall. She'd heard of this Kylo Ren fellow, though she knew no more than he served the Dark Side.

"You say I need not fear you, but you slaughtered my friends for nothing. Absolutely nothing!"

He didn't flinch at her sudden burst of emotion. She wasn't wrong, though there was much more to everything than she knew.

"I understand this emotion you're showing me. As a mere human who has seen nothing dark in this world, nothing light either, you've only ever known your emotions. That could get you into trouble someday if you show it to the wrong person."

She countered back carelessly, "And you're not the wrong person?"

He was silent, but after a moment he said, "No, not this time."

She froze as he reached for his helmet. Was she ready to see the monster that lied beneath?

This made him freeze as her fear danced across her face. He could hear her thoughts- she thought him to be a monster?

Well, what did he expect her to think? That was a common fear of innocents. He dropped his hands at his sides, leaving his helmet in place. Maybe it'd help if she knew what he was, but maybe not... He decided to reveal himself later on.

Maiya reluctantly relaxed. As much as she wanted to know... She didn't. Did she?

"Why am I here? I think we both know I am completely of no use to whatever's going on."

He walked closer to her, never minding how rigid she went.

"I know what you think of me. I see the way you view this world, despite the gaps in your knowledge. I know a lot more about the things and people you seem to idolize. I know them both the same, yet much differently. I know you think I'm some monster following the darkness blindly. But when I saw you, kneeling on the ground with those other creatures and beings... You were scared, but you were willing to accept what came your way."

Maiya was taken aback but everything he just said. "But why save me?"

He smiled, though she didn't know it. "You should rest now, Maiya."

He turned and made it way to the door, but I shouted, "W-wait!"

He stopped and turned his head slightly.

"Why am I in here? This isn't a cell, I know that much."

He said more softly than he said anything else, "You're safe in here, trust me."

And with that he left the room, locking her inside.