// Seven // Maiya's POV //

"I'm taking you out today," Kylo announces after prodding me awake. I grouchily rub my eyes until his words sink in. 

I snap my eyes in his direction. "Really?" I ask eagerly

He smiles faintly at me. "Yes, really. But there's something important we must go over first."

I frown. Of course there's a catch. How silly of me to think I could just waltz out of Kylo's room among the First Order and there be nothing to worry about. 

"What?" I ask cautiously.

He walks over to me and stops a foot away as he looks down at me. 
"Everyone here thought you a prisoner. When you walk out of this room... You're gonna be something different. By my power here, you will be protected. There's few here who would dare say anything to you, let alone attempt to touch you. Think of this as a trial run, to see how freedom here suits you. We'll gradually work towards as much freedom as I can possibly give you here. But regardless, there will always be limits for you, do you understand?"

His tone isn't harsh, but smooth and firm. His eyes bore into mine, searching for a trace of something. I'm not sure what he'll find.

"I just need to know what is and isn't acceptable."

He takes a breath. "You'll learn all of that. Your freedom for now can only be by my side, got it? I've never had a... Person before. I just want you to be happy, and safe."

He offers me a small smile. I smile softly back and say, "Okay boss."

***

As we walk out of his room, him in full armor, I feel self-conscious as eyes seem to watch me. I stick close to Kylo's side, feel more secure the closer I am to him.

"Kylo," I whisper, "Where are we going?"

Without looking at me, he says, "I'm taking you out to practice fighting. It's something to do right?"

I smile. It's something familiar and warm, fighting that is.

I stare straight ahead as I walk by Kylo's side. The men in white armor never stare for very long, for fear of Kylo I presume.

It doesn't take long for us to enter a big room with training dummies, weapons along a side of one wall, and a huge mat area for fighting. There's quite a few men in armor training until Kylo shouts, "Everyone, out!"

Everyone looks in our direction, but as their eyes land on Kylo, they do as he says without question.

This leaves us alone in the huge training room. "Couldn't they have stayed?"

He looks down at me, though I can't see his eyes. "It's better if it's just us."

Without further word, he marches towards the wall with weapons. I hurry after him. 
"Everyone is skilled with a specific weapon. I, obviously, with a light saber. You should feel drawn to a specific weapon, so look at the wall and choose what calls to you."

I look at him like he's crazy, but he seems to be waiting. I sigh and look towards the wall. They all look interesting, but nothing seems to stand out to me.

I turn to Kylo. "I'm better at hand-to-hand combat."

He straightens. "That's not always a choice. We'll have to work on your weapons skills, but for now show me what you got with hand to hand."

He leads me to the fighting mat. I feel nervous for a second, because he's really intimidating in his armor. But I have faith in my skills so I straighten a moment before putting my fists up.

He stands perfectly normal, not even concerned about being prepared. We slowly circle each other, our eyes trained on one another. I remember fighting some of the biggest and baddest back home on Jakku, so I start to relax slightly.

With no other choice, I rush him. He goes to swing at me as I approach, but I dodge it as I roll on the ground behind him and elbow him sharply in his lower back, sending him forward a few feet. But it wasn't enough to keep him from catching me with his foot, sending me down to the floor. I groan as my back lands on the mat.

"You're good at rushing and dodging. But you gotta be prepared for a sweeping move."

I look up as he walks over with his hand extended. I take it, but as he goes to pull me up I yank him down and straddle him. I wish more than anything I could see his face. 

I hold the side of my hand at his throat, keeping him down.

"You're a lot stronger than I anticipated," he says in a low voice.

I grin, but alas it was a distraction as he rolls me off and pins me down. "But you can't let your guard down, Maiya, ever. Always expect something, even if you think you've won the fight."

I blink. He's right, I know better than to get cocky.

He stands and pulls me up with him. I take a deep breath. He's more skilled than the bumbling morons on Jakku. I should have remembered he would be.

"We'll make this a daily thing. You're definitely a skilled fighter, Maiya. I see potential in you. But come on, let's go get some food in you. I can't keep the troopers out of training for too long today."

I follow beside him closely as I smile faintly to myself. Potential, huh? 

We'll just have to show him what all I'm made of.

***

Well she finally made it out of the room.

Hope you liked this chapter! :)

~Taylor