Chapter Four: A King. . .?

Envy

Chapter Four (N)

A King. . .?

I wandered throughout Accumula Town, Zorua in his Pokeball. How I hated to put my best friend in those cages, but because of my Father, I had to trap all of my Pokemon in them if I ever wanted to leave the castle. Zorua had insisted, and Purrloin, who was a gift from Father a year ago and also with me, had backed him up. I grumbled to myself as I walked the streets of the town.

 It was almost past noon when I entered the Pokemon Center. I just walked over to a chair and sat down, letting out Purrloin from his trapping Pokeball. The cat Pokemon stretched and yawned. He glanced at me with a sharp, green gaze and sprang lightly on my lap.

 “You know I hate Pokeballs,” he told me with a sigh, “But I like to be with you, even if I am in a Pokeball.”

 I smiled softly. “Yes,” I replied, rubbing his head. “Zorua is the same as you.”

 I drew my hand away from his head after a moment or two. Purrloin shrugged and sat down, licking a paw. “No, he isn't. You don't know Zorrrua's bad side.”

 “I do not think I ever will.”

 “Ha!” Purrloin scoffed, “Don't push yourrr luck, N.”

 “I am not, Purrloin.”

 Purrloin snorted and laid down, closing his piercing jade-green eyes to take a nap. I rested my hands on his back, knowing that he would not mind. A few humans passed me, some giving me odd looks. I merely stared back at them. Every few minutes I sat there, I kept wondering if I should let out Zorua. I knew I would be going against Father's orders, but my best friend hated the Pokaball. In fact, I once saw Zorua break a Pokeball without a single thought.

 I touched my puzzle, fingering it with my free hand. This comforted me greatly. I knew I was a teenage boy, but I loved puzzles. Machines, clocks, and spinning gears greatly interested me, too.

 Purrloin shifted underneath my palms, alerting me that he was waking. The purple and white Pokemon yawned and stood up, shooting me a glance.

 “You waited until I was awake to leave?” he purred as I reached for his Pokeball cage, “That's quite kind, you know.”

 I gave him a little smile and tapped the ball on his head. Purrloin became a red light, then swiftly in the Pokeball. I clipped the Pokeball on my belt, right next to Zorua's, and stood up, fixing my hat. As I wandered back to the entrance to leave, a human girl came up and spoke.

 “I saw you talking to your Purrloin,” she said. When I said nothing in answer, she smirked. “I challenge you to a battle.” I still did not response. The girl merely rolled her eyes; her three friends giggled behind her. “Too scare? Well, I guess we could just say I am the best Pokemon Trainer ever.” She turned, flipping her hair.

 “Pokemon are not tools,” I finally said, gaining her attention. “Pokemon battles are meaningless. What comes out as a finished product is merely injured Pokemon; nothing is gained for the one that loses. For the one that wins. . . The Pokemon merely feels happy that the Trainer is proud for it. What about the loser? And those outrageous balls that hold Pokemon. . . Do you not think Pokemon hate the Pokeballs that trap them?”

 When I was finished, I just gazed at the girl. She was seemingly thinking about my words.

 “You talk too fast,” she shrugged, turning away again. I merely turned and pushed the doors open. Behind me, as I left, the girl's friends were completely silent while she chatted away. I glanced back before the doors closed, and one girl with silvery hair watched me. Her eyes narrowed when we locked gazes. At the same time, we glanced away. I shrugged to myself. Odd girl.