Chapter Seven: Learning To Battle? What?!

Envy

Chapter Seven (Day)

Learning To Battle? What?!

The sun was high and I was laying on a branch near Jace's sister's home. Ruby and Topaz had decided to explore Nuvema Town, thus causing a few young humans to run after them and play with them, wondering what kind of Pokemon they were. Soon, the little ones were running to Professor Juniper’s lab to meet me. Surprisingly, they were so much fun. Jewel joined after a while of watching me, Topaz, and Ruby while Jasper merely watched from afar. He and Vine got along quite well.

 I sighed and turned my head, wondering when Jace was going to be here. He had said that he was going to show me something and told me to wait. Well, I've done the waiting part. When is he going to do the showing part?

 “Sorry, Day!” Jace called from the bottom of the tree. “I got caught up in something!”

 “Late,” I hissed like Vine, almost smiling but I stopped myself before I did. I hopped down to meet him. “What are you going to show me?”

 Jace smirked and took my hand. I flinched and snatched my wrist from his grip. He looked surprised then covered it up with another smile. “You'll see.”

 I followed him as I wandered into the forest-y part next to the town. Along the way, my partners joined me. We were all slightly confused as he led us deeper and deeper. Finally, Jace stopped at a clearing. He turned, gesturing towards the clearing.

 “This is where I'll teach you how to battle,” he told me happily. “It'll be so much fun.”

 I stepped forward, not exactly listening. This clearing was. . . amazing! It was so-- I whipped around and stared at Jace once his words hit me.

 “WHAT did you just say?!” I shouted in surprise.

“I'm going to teach you how to battle.”

 “No! I can't. . . I can't hurt my Pokemon through senseless human Pokemon battles!”

 Jace's eyes, which had been lit up, dulled. “But, if you have Pokemon then you have to fight in Pokemon battles.”

 “I-I can't!”

 “Why not?”

 “. . . .I promised them I would never put them through any pain again. . .”

 “Then. . .” Jace unclasped a Pokeball from his belt and threw it, releasing Vine. “I'll have to see how good you are!”

 Vine glared, but suddenly blinked in shock as she recognized me. “I have to fight you?” she asked, shocked. Glancing over at Jace, I noticed hurt in her eyes. Jace merely pointed at me.

 “We're going to battle Day, okay Vine?” he said, completely ignoring her hurtful eyes, “And we're going to see how good she is! Leaf Blade!”

 Vine, having no choice, turned. She came at me and my Pokemon, her tail becoming as sharp and straight as a knife. Her eyes widened as she sprang; her tail came down at a frightening speed. The poor Grass type closed her eyes as her tail came closer and closer. I crossed my arms like a X in front of me and shut my eyes as well.

 When it connected, dust flew up everywhere. Jace, suddenly realizing that none of my Pokemon had moved, shouted in surprise. “Day! Are you okay? Please answer me!” The dust settled, reveling me, Vine, and my Pokemon. Jace's eyes widened as he took in the scene.

 I had blocked the attack with my crossed arms, everyone hiding behind me. Blood was flowing freely from my cuts, sending thin scarlet ribbons down my arms. Vine was pushing down as she attacked, but she seemed scared. Jace was shocked and couldn't say anything, so I took the matter into my own hands.