Bad 1

The characters in this story are from the Vampire Diaries but it's all human so you don't need to know the show to understand this...it's pretty self-explanatory. It's a general POV, boyxboy story and that's about it.

Here's some of the relationships just in case you're interested.

-Matt is the best, best friend who supports Tyler through anything and everything, like a brother.

-Caroline is the instigator of the plan and also one of Tyler's best friends.

-Jeremy is the guy Tyler's in love with but has hardly ever talked to.

-Spencer (he's an original character created by me solely for this story,) is Jeremy's best friend, another on of the punks. I pictured him looking like Calum Hood from 5SOS.

-Elena is Jeremy's protective sister but she's not in this till later on.

-And finally Stefan is Elena's boyfriend.

Disclaimer: I don't own the characters or the All Time Low song that was used as inspiration.

...

Tyler watches, from across the parking lot, as his crush chats up his other punk friends, sharing a cigarette as they laugh amongst themselves.

 He sighs loudly.

He’s been doing that a lot lately, sighing that is, and watching, staring, stalking…ever since the realization hit him that he’d never be what Jeremy wants. He’ll never be that guy for Jeremy but Christ did he want to be.

His crush on the younger boy isn’t a secret, not by any means. His friends figured it out first (a couple of weeks ago, when the pining reached an all-time high, though he’s surprised nobody caught on sooner. Matt did but he knew it once Tyler knew it because he was the first person little 16 year old Tyler told when he realized he might be gay – and better yet gay for Jeremy Gilbert),and peaches that they are were relentless in their teasing, and naturally it was only a matter of time before everyone knew. And everyone does know, Jeremy probably even knows, but Tyler certainly hopes not. That would be mortifying.

Matt being his best friend was the only one who never joined in on the teasing, being completely supportive the whole time. He never even once poked fun at Tyler’s pathetic obsession with the pot-smoking punk. Tyler remembers when he first told Matt about his crush during their sophomore year, they were in Tyler’s bedroom playing a videogame and Tyler just came out with it, close to tears and petrified that his best friend would hate him but Matt just smiled and said, “That’s great Ty, he’s cute, I mean as guys go.” And that was that because that’s just how Matt is, chill like no one else but supportive, loyal and loving to even mere acquaintances. Matt’s such a fierce friend in the way that if you’re his friend you could be sure that if you ever needed anything he would go above and beyond to make sure it happened for you. He would bend time and space for his friends but he’s always been that way. He’s been like that since they were in diapers together and Tyler hopes he’ll be that way for the rest of their lives because he knows they’ll always be best friends.

So Tyler had Matt which was great because you always need your best friend on your side but Caroline came around too (she found out when the rest of the school did and once she got over being offended that Tyler didn’t tell her about how hopelessly in love he was with another boy she was their greatest ally for sure,) which was even better because a woman’s advice is definitely welcome among them, Tyler needs all the help he can get. Caroline took that little tidbit to heart and now she’s almost intolerable. She seems to believe that Tyler having said he values her opinion justifies her decisions regarding all things Tyler…however extreme, insane, or absolutely ludicrous, (usually the latter) they may be.

That is exactly what the problem is Tyler thinks as he tugs restlessly at the tight white shirt that’s clinging to his body (chest and abs) in a way that Tyler isn’t sure he’s entirely comfortable with. And the damn leather jacket he’s sporting doesn’t feel right to him. He feels like a bad Grease cliché. It looks fine, it looks more than fine really, Matt who’s as straight as a ruler flushed when he came strutting out of the dressing room in it last weekend during their oh so needed, (Caroline’s words) shopping trip. He’s not sure why he needed a whole new wardrobe but Caroline insisted Jeremy would like the new him, so naturally Tyler whipped out his wallet like he was born to charge his Visa card.

The black jeans, he’s wearing are a nice addition though he’ll give Caroline that. They hug him in all the right places, slim across his hips and thighs, accentuating his assets perfectly or at least that’s what Caroline’s squeal and Matt’s blush told him. To sum up the whole ensemble, snug black jeans, tight white t-shirt, fitted leather jacket, black scuffed up combat boots, and dark Ray-Bans placed coolly over his eyes, he knows he looks good and he’s trying not to fuss or complain because this is for Jeremy, this is to get noticed by Jeremy so it’s worth it.

According to Caroline, Jeremy wants someone who can keep up with him, someone who is like the people he hangs out with but not necessarily a drug dealer. Tyler isn’t entirely sure how she knows this but the daggers she sent him when he’d asked told him, don’t mess Lockwood, don’t mess. So he won’t because he values his life and if this is going to get him Jeremy, fucking bring it, that’s what Tyler says.

Also, and this got him thinking, Caroline hangs out with Bonnie who is best friends with Elena who is Jeremy’s sister so she probably (hopefully) knows what she’s talking about.

She gave him a checklist, hair—which is odd because his hair is more on the short side but sure, check, outfit—check, he’s got fashion down to a science and last but certainly not least, attitude—maybe check but he knows he’s got work to do on that one. When it comes down to it apparently Jeremy wants a grade-A, no good, dirty, rotten, I don’t give a fuck, bad boy. Which okay Tyler can do, because he has, on occasion been known to have a temper and an attitude but he isn’t necessarily mean and he certainly doesn’t hurt people. Tyler’s a jock by nature, popular by default but mean doesn’t come as easily to him as some might think and if he’s faced with it he’s not sure he’ll be able to play the bitch to get Jeremy to chase him instead of the other way around. And how the hell is he expected to act that way to Jeremy?

Tyler takes one more, big steadying breath, fixes his jacket and glasses, runs a hand through his short hair to mess it up just right and starts walking across the parking lot to the school. He can hear Jeremy’s group of friends laughing at something and Tyler tries to pick Jeremy’s light but hearty chuckle out of the group but can’t. He reminds himself to be cool as he breathes in the smoke from their cigarettes and he actually feels his body uncoil slightly.

Tyler nearly stops and turns back but he can hear Caroline and Matt tiddling on behind him and that urges him forward. He remembers the casual, bored, better than you attitude Caroline told him to carry with pride as he struts past them and through the doors.

His breath hitches when out of the corner of his eye he can see Jeremy eyeing him curiously, watching him intently. This could actually work.