Bad 9

They show up at the party Friday night unannounced, an hour and a half late but they look good when they step out of Tyler’s black mustang. Tyler’s sporting his new favorite dark jeans, a tight black t-shirt and the leather jacket that’s become somewhat of a tattoo, he’s foregone the sunglasses because Jeremy probably already thinks he’s an ass there’s no need to add tool to that list as well.

Matt hands him a drink as they stand by the coolers filled to the brim with all different brews, Caroline is busy surveying the area and those in attendance, clearly she spots someone of interest because she perks up. She’s spinning towards them and chattering away before Tyler can ask who was so exciting.

“Okay, so remember friendly but not entirely open. Stay aloof but keep him interested. Calm, cool, collected…you’ve got this baby. Come on Mattie,” Caroline’s taking off before Tyler can get a word in edge-wise. He spins and watches them practically run away, scratches his head as he takes a tentative sip of his beer. He nearly chokes on it when-

“You showed up.”

He meets a shy smile and bright brown eyes when he turns around, Jeremy is all but glowing. Tyler nods his head smoothly. An awkward silence spans between them as Jeremy stuffs his hands in his pockets and bites his lip in a way that makes Tyler want to pounce on him, but seriously when does Tyler not want to pounce on Jeremy. He looks good tonight, he always does but, he’s got on black jeans, tight black jeans with a faded t-shirt of a band that Tyler couldn’t place if his life depended on it that’s fitted and snug across his chest and simple black zip up hoodie that’s hanging open casually. He’s got a beanie on his head (it could very well be purple but Tyler can’t really tell in the barely there, nonexistent light,) and the hair that he cut recently so it’s a bit shorter (and does a cute swoop thing over his forehead that Tyler finds positively endearing,) is sticking out from underneath just barely, Tyler finds it adorable and perfect, everything about Jeremy is perfect.

“So,” the younger boy is getting closer walking towards him and great now Tyler can’t breathe. He’s standing next to him, grabbing a beer, oh yeah. Standing next to the cooler, right, “You showed up-”

“You already said that,” Tyler says and it’s light, almost playful and exactly the way he always wants to sound when talking to Jeremy. The younger boy smiles wider as his eyes look down, avert shyly making Tyler’s stomach flip.

“You cut me off,” Tyler bites his lip to contain the smile but lets his lips quirk a little bit at least. “As I was saying, you showed up…something change your mind?”

He shrugs but it’s not like the way it’s been all week long, it’s more companionable. He remembers friendly but not too open, aloof but entertaining…okay. “I didn’t have anything better to do,” Jeremy’s face falls, okay so that wasn’t the right thing to say, “And I was rude the other day, so I thought this was as good a way as any to make it up to you.”

This seems to appease the other boy as he’s grinning at him like a goof, Tyler lets his lip go so a smile slips onto his face as well, a real smile.

“So what’s this I hear about awesome drugs?”

Jeremy lets out a laugh, that tinkling laugh that sets Tyler’s insides on fire and they’re both left catching their breath albeit for entirely different reasons.

“Well I know a guy who’s got some pretty awesome pot…if you’re interested.” It’s amazing how Jeremy can flip on a dime, he’s confident; impish even but then he becomes so unsure and timid just like that. Tyler assumes it’s warranted considering how he’s been treating Jeremy these last few days. He’s well within his rights to be cautious and guarded around Tyler.

Tyler nods and Jeremy cocks his head towards the banks of the lake before he downs his drink with a practiced ease that Tyler envies slightly. He follows suit but it isn’t nearly as easy as Jeremy made it look, he’s out of practice but the plan has taken up majority of his party time, or at least that’s what he’ll tel anyone who asks him about it.

They start walking, there’s space between them so breathing isn’t insanely difficult when it hits him like a ton of bricks that him and Jeremy were totally just flirting…flirting…with each other.

Boo-yah!