Chapter 1- On the Run

The rain stopped. The wind died down. I didn't care. I just kept running. The rush of air whipped at my face, stinging like poison ivy. I didn't care. The sun dipped below the horizon, and the world began to darken. I didn't care. My eyes lit up the night, shining like small suns, making me a clear target for my attackers. Now I cared. I needed to find my house before they caught up. The monsters of the night would cause a minor distraction, but when you are in full diamond armor, they are as dangerous as a chicken. 

Finally, my home came into view. Well, for me. It is built into a mountain, hidden behind bedrock attached to a piston. I have a special button that I carry with me which opens the door. No other button will work. I sped up, sprinting at full tilt. I had to get far enough away that they couldn't see me go through. 

"Get him!" One of the players yelled. 

"We need to get a picture!" Another replied. "Then they will believe us!"

"Do you have a screen recording program installed?" The third asked, out of breath. "A video will convince people."

I reached it, covering one eye to reduce the  glow. I placed the button and pressed it. The bedrock slid open. I placed two pieces of dirt outside the entrance to disguise the out-of-place bedrock. I broke the button, and the door slid closed. I sighed with relief. I was safe- for now. 

My name is Herobrine. Hi. You have probably heard of me. Everyone has their stories and theories. None are exactly true. 

As you already know, I look just like Steve. But with glowing white eyes. I'm a glitch. I wasn't supposed to be kept in the game, but somehow I wormed my way into the game's code. I was just a joke, meant to spook one player. I thought that was mean, so I had second thoughts. When I was unable to be controlled, I was removed. Or so they thought. By some mistake, instead of being deleted, I was bound to the code of the game itself. The only way to get rid of me is to destroy the game of Minecraft itself. Some days, I wish I was removed.

I am hunted. No more than a prize. Capture me on film, and win fame on the internet. Kill me, and win diamonds. I always spawn with some. Capture me, and win a live trophy. Fun for awhile, but soon gathers dust and is moved to the back of the shelf. Soon to be replaced by others. Never completely forgotten, never completely appreciated. 

I sat up and trudge over to my bed. I flip the lever to "off" and the redstone lamp shuts off. I slip under the covers and drift off. 

"What's up, 'Brine?" A loud voice interupts my sleep. 

"Gareth..." I mumble. 

The zombie emerges from the shadows and nods. 

"I was almost asleep." I grumble at him.

" 'Almost' being the key word here." He laughs.

I smile in the darkness. "Anything important? This better be good... Not like the time you woke me up at midnight because a cow seemed to make a chicken noise."

He laughs lightly and replies, "No. Nothing like that. The players are getting closer. One of them almost broke the dirt in front of the doors." He pauses. "I think you may have to move. They're getting too close."

I shake my head. "I just moved to the extreme hills biome. I was just settling in. I like it here."

He moves a little closer. "Herobrine, we can't keep this up. I nearly died trying to throw them off track."

"I'm sorry." I reply. "I understand. We'll move to the jungle soon. It's too big for them to search thoroughly."

He nods. "Good idea. See you in the morning." Then he turns and hobbles back into his cave.

I turn over, and try to think of a place to settle. I have explored parts of the jungle before, but am not too clear on the area. I've got more time on my hands than most players, so the odds are that they aren't experts either. 

Oh, well. I guess I'll just play it by ear and see how it turns out. Tomorrow can wait.