Chapter 8- I Guess That I Just Woke Up With Amnesia

“I don’t think I know who you are.”

The man immediately paused and took a step back. “What do you mean?” He asked. “How could you forget? Clearly isolation has taken its toll.”

I shook my head. “I’m serious. I don’t know you.” And I really didn’t. He looked nearly exactly like me(minus the eyes, because I was the only one who has that as far as I know), but past that I had no relation to him.

“I’m Steve,” he said, pointing to himself desperately. “Your brother. Remember? The accident two years ago? Every thinks that you’re dead.”

“Steve...” I said, testing the word. It felt wrong to say, as if it was not a word meant to be spoken.

His face fell. He was clearly crestfallen, though I didn’t quite understand why. “You have to remember! We were both born fifteen years ago on August 14. Twins. Twins don’t just forget...” His voice faltered.

“So I’m fifteen?” I asked, never really having known or cared. It’s not something you commonly know in Minecraftia, as everyone looks the same except for young children, who are smaller. “If what you’re saying is true?”

He nodded. “How do you not know these things? It must be amnesia. It has to be.” He started pacing, muttering things to himself. It must have been five minutes before I finally spoke again.

I taped his shoulder. “So... what now? Can we leave?”

Steve recoiled, as if insulted. “Well-”

“No,” Interrupted Kristie. “We don’t know what else to do, where else to go, or who else to trust. Would it be alright if we stayed?”

I shot her a glare, which she returned.

Steve nodded. “O-Of course. I think that there’s a vacant house near the left turret that you could use. It’s large, so there should be room for you and your friends.”

Right! I forgot to ask where Jared and the rest were. “By the way, do you know where my friends actually are? I haven’t seen them, and-”

“Of course,” Steve said, eyes solemn. “Jared is sparring in the fighter’s hall, Hazel is helping out in the bakery, and August is helping with the patrols. Kristie knows where they are.”

Gareth dropped his wool-stick.

“Oh!” Steve said suddenly. “Here, so you don’t have to carry that thing everywhere.” He went to a chest in the corner of the room, digging around for a bit and then pulling out a leather cap. He tossed to to Gareth, who caught it with one hand.

He put it on his head. “Thanks! Wait, got any dye?” He asked.

I sighed. “Gareth-”

“What?’

Steve returned to the chest and searched around for a few moments before finding an ink sack and tossing it to Gareth. “Here, is this good? I also have lots of blue and I can make yellow or red-”

“This is fine,” I said before Gareth could answer.

Gareth nodded. “Thank you. Black seems to be my color now, I suppose.” He laughed and started dying his helmet black. “Anyway, if he remembers anything we’ll let you know.”

“Hold on,” Said Steve. “I’d like to talk to Herobrine along for a minute. Is that alright?”
Kristie nodded and Gareth shrugged before leaving. “We’ll wait at the gate,” Said Kristie.

“That rhymes,” Pointed out Gareth before the door shut behind them.

That left me and Steve alone in the throne room.