Chapter 1

MARY'S POV

Of course, I'm moving to a brand new school on the last year of my high school experience. Right when I just got used to my old one. 

It was hard, I'll have to admit. Having to leave my old friends that I finally began to get close to.

Oh well. There's nothing that I can do about it now.

This year is gonna be hell and I know it. But complaining isn't going to do anything, so I might as well just get used to it.

I slam my car door shut in a frustrated manner and trudge towards the school doors. 

Ok, fine. I admit that I have a very bad attitude about this, but who wouldn't? And right now, I don't care. I got dressed and actually came to my first day; I think that's more than enough.

The school itself is pretty large, but not so large that it's overwhelming.

 Still, it looks like a mansion compared to the small town school that I used to go to.

 I slowly take in everything in sight while I walk towards the office. Not gonna lie... It's an extremely gorgeous school. Every corner is spotless so you would think that the building came right out of a magazine. It just looked so...perfect.

 Finally, when I near the end of the hallway, I see an old man wearing a suit and thick rimmed glasses. The principle greets me with a warm smile and handshake.

"Welcome to Gladstone High, Mary.", his smile is so huge, it looks as if he's being payed to tolerate us,"I hope you have a great experience." 

Very succinct. I like that. At least neither of us have to be burdened with the thought of keeping an awkward conversation going.

"Thank you, sir.", I say while he hands me my schedule: 

English, Physics, Ceramics, Lunch, AP Calculus, AP Psychology, Study Hall.

I'm so engulfed in my schedule that I don't even notice when the principle shoves a pile of books towards me, as well as a small slip of paper with my locker number and combination.

I put on a smile and quickly walk out. Thankfully, my locker opens on the first time without sticking. I quickly shove in every book except for my English one.

However, my good luck does not last when I get lost and get to my class fifteen minutes late; causing almost every eye to be glued on me.

"Sorry, I got lost.", I say quietly.

The teacher smiles,"No worries. You're Mary right? Just go take a seat next to Kevin, in the back corner."

I nod and start to head back there. Hopefully I'll at least get along with the person sitting next to me. Maybe even make a friend?

As soon as I see Kevin, my heart stops.

He is so...attractive... but not in an 'in your face' kind of way. It's as if his entire being is hidden behind a shadow.

His jet black hair, pale skin, and eyes so brown that they almost look completely black. 

He didn't take even the slightest notice when I walked towards the desk to take a seat by him. Each desk had room for only two people, so we were the only ones near each other.

"Alright, class.", the old teacher spoke,"I'm Mrs. Dean and I have a tradition that I've been doing with my students for the past twenty years that I've been working here. You and the person you're sitting next to will be doing an assignment together. The two of you will have one week to write a small, one page paper describing your partner's likes and dislikes."

The class groans, obviously annoyed by the fact that we have a project assigned on the first day of school. And they're probably not too happy that they'll have to be all buddy-buddy with someone they don't know, either.

Mrs. Dean narrows her eyes,"Now don't give me that attitude. My former students found this to be very entertaining. And they made a new friend through this as well. However, I expect you to spend at least an hour every day with your partner."

This catches me off guard. Everyday? With Kevin? Not that I'm complaining. I'm just extremely nervous, because just sitting next to him makes my heart race.

"So...Mary."

I turn my head to the right to see Kevin talking. However he doesn't bother looking at me for the first few seconds after he's written down the assignment. I don't even say anything at first. I'm just trying to take in his perfection. 

Wait what?

Perfection?

Ugh, I'm giving this guy way too much credit. I mean... He's just a stranger.

Something in my head is ringing warning bells...something is telling me to get up and ask for a new partner right away. But I ignore my instincts because something else is telling me to go for it.

"Umm..hi.", I almost whisper it.

He raises an eyebrow and smirks. Oh my god, his smirk is the sexiest thing I've ever seen. But it looks as if he likes to see me squirm in his presence....

Oh my god, get a damn hold of yourself, Mary.

"Well it seems like we're stuck doing this project together.", he says, watching my every move.

Was that supposed to be an insult? "Umm, yeah. I suppose...so...when do you want to meet?"

He looks straight into my eyes,"After school?"

"Oh shit, I can't. I have track practice until 5. Does 5:30 work?", I ask, trying not to meet his eyes. 

"...sure...", he says.

I can feel his stare burning into my skin.

Mary! Get the hell away from him!!!!

The alarm in my head grows louder and louder. I lift up my hand and gently rub my temples; I can already feel the beginnings of a headache coming on.

Before I know what's going on, he slides a small piece of paper towards me.

"My address.", he says,"So you can come over."

The bell rings before I can reply.

Well...this ought to be interesting.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: Well, what do you guys think? :) Comment and rate! <3