Chapter 21

Mary's POV

I pick up Celia from her crib and take her to our room where I lay her down under her mobile toy. She begins to giggle furiously and reaches up to try and catch the plastic butterflies and airplanes with her small, chubby arms.

Just one more month left of my maternity leave.

Time honestly goes by so fast. Celia is now two months old. It seems like just yesterday that I was holding her for the very first time.

"Alright.", I say and get up,"Now you behave missy, while your mommy cleans up a little around here."

She continues to laugh and reach as the soft music plays from her mobile toy.

Today is a huge day. 

It's me and Kevin's 1 year anniversary today. 

1 year. 

It still sometimes surprises me that we've been together for so long. It's not shocking in a bad way, of course, it just surprises me how much he's been able to conform to society ever since the massacre.

Yes, he stole a few things and gets in a little trouble every now and then. But compared to what he was like in high school, he could be considered a saint.

He told me one day when we were still together in high school that his first encounter with the cops was when he and Lenny were throwing bricks off an overpass. 

He also loved to get other people in trouble. Not the kind of trouble that just got a note sent home to a parent. But he's gotten students expelled and a teacher fired.

Why he did that, I can now only assume was because he was full of so much rage. When I would confront him about this, he would get angry with me and that was honestly the main reason why our relationship almost crumbled on so many accounts when we were in high school.

He'd lie. So much. So so much. 

I remember one day when his lies were just too much to handle that I ended up breaking down and crying to his mother. Kevin never really knew what to do when I cried. It's only later when I found out it was because he literally had no way of feeling empathy. His brain literally didn't, and still doesn't, have that component to it.

Whenever I did cry, he'd usually just give me a confused and or blank stare and then embrace me.

The only reason I stayed with him is because he is the most charming person that I've ever met. Every time when I've stormed out of his house, he always threw pebbles at my window later that night and came up to spend time with me. He had the power to make me feel like the most loved and most hated person in the world.

He was so manipulative. The only problem; he still is.

And although his charm is always able to pull me back into his grasps, I still worry about him.

Yes, he's so much better.

But I am always so suspicious of him. Sociopaths are such great deceits. The act that he puts on at home could be totally different from what he puts on for the rest of the world to see. 

And the day of the massacre. 

He seemed so...gratified. As if he finally fulfilled his purpose. He loved his months of fame, but the last time I saw him, he seemed a bit...subdued. 

When I saw him again 5 years later at the grocery store, he seemed as if he was born again in a way. 

As if nothing out of the ordinary happened to him or anyone else. As if he hadn't taken the lives of his father, sister, and 9 other people at school, as well as injuring one other.