Chapter 17

Mary's POV

The sun is now blazing down on my already very uncomfortable body. 

With an irritated moan, I remove the cold pack that layed on my sweating forehead. My pregnancy is nearing and end and I can honestly say that I couldn't be any happier. People weren't bluffing when they said that the end of a pregnancy is always the worst. And besides, just to be able to hold my baby in my arms rather than my womb will fulfill all of my gratifications.

I pull myself off of the couch and while I'm up, I grab the phone off of the cradle, punch in several numbers, and hold it to my ear. 

After about 5 rings, Kevin picks up the phone,"Hey, babe, what's up?"

"Oh, nothing much.", I say,"Still pregnant. But that's not why I called. Could you bring me a couple of things when you get home?"

"Sure, what do you need?", he asks.

"A Snicker's bar and pepper spray?", I say, a little hesitantly at the last part.

There's a pause and then a small chuckle on the other line,"One of those things is a bit unexpected, don't you think?"

I bite my lip,"I've just been thinking. I have no form of protection. I walk alone at night sometimes and I want to get some protection. Besides, I lost my other bottle of pepper spray so..."

"Wait, why are you walking alone at night?", he gets a bit protective.

"Well, I sometimes come to the bar to see you.", I say,"Or I go out for coffee or something."

"And why don't you take the bus?", he asks.

"You know, I may not always think before I act.", I say meekly,"But neither do you. Anyway, that's not the point. Please, Kevin. Don't you want me to be safe?"

"Alright.", he says,"I'll be home in a little over an hour."

I immediately smile,"Thanks, hon! See you in a bit!"

As soon as I'm done with the call, I grab a new ice pack and put it on my head, slowly walking back towards the couch to take a nap for what I want to be the next year or so. 

My hand reaches for my stomach as I move my hand up and down,"You sure are a stubborn little one, aren't you?"

The sun's warmth is feeling very comforting against my skin now and my eyes slowly begin to drift; leaving me dead asleep in about 5 minutes. 

However, I should have forced myself to stay awake because my dreams do no better to make me feel better. 

In my deep, unconcious slumber, I'm in a strange forest. My clothes are torn and covered in crimson liquid that has such a sick, metallic scent that I realize that it's blood. But from where?

No part of my body hurts, so it can't be from me.

The answer lays in my arms; completely motionless and unresponsive. 

It's my unborn child. 

It's covered in blood and as if to make sure that it's my child, I instinctively reach down only to feel my normal stomach before my child was conceived. 

I scream. 

Oh god, do I try to scream as loud as I can.

But like every other nightmare, it comes out only as a whisper. 

There's a large bolt of lightning which immediately causes a shadow to appear next to the tree in front of me. 

He has an intricate, wooden bow and several arrows that are slung across his shoulders.