Chapter 19

Mary's POV

The sound of a soft, crying noise filling my ears wakes me up.

At first, I think I'm still in a dream. But when it doesn't stop and ends up pulling me out of my sleep, I realize that Celia's up.

I roll over to my side to hear the baby monitor going off; her voice coming in. The clock reads 2:13 A.M. 

With a yawn and a stretch, I pull myself out of my bed and put on my soft slippers, walking to the other room where Celia was sleeping.

"Up already, baby girl?", I ask as soon as I'm in the room.

She continues to cry and tries to put her arms out towards me when she sees me.

"Awww, sweetie, come here.", I easily lift her in my arms and cradle her gently. But as soon as my skin makes contact with hers, I frown.

She's a bit warm.

Only about 1 month in and she's already a bit sick.

Just to make sure that my senses aren't fooling me, I lift her and put her forehead to my cheek. It's not burning up, but she definetely has a fever.

I grab her blanket and head back towards my room. 

Her crying has gotten a little quieter, but it's enough to show her discomfiture. 

"Kevin.", I say when I get to our room,"Kevin, wake up."

He mumbles something in his sleep that I can't understand, so I end up nudging him to get his attention.

"Kevin.", I say a little more loudly,"Wake up."

He stirs a little bit and yawns. Eventually he ends up sitting in bed, looking at us with sleepy eyes,"What?"

"Celia.", I say and gently rock her in my arms,"She's sick."

He frowns,"You sure?"

"Yeah, she feels unusually warm.", I say and put her forehead to my cheek again,"Here, take her for a minute. I'm gonna go look for the baby thermometer."

He reaches out and I put Celia in his arms. I walk out of the room and back into Celia's bedroom. I look in the closet, the drawers, even under her bed. But it's no luck.

Where the heck is her thermometer?

Even when I retrace my steps, I still can't find it anywhere. Shit, did we even remember to buy the damn thing?

I facepalm myself and quickly walk back to my room,"Kevin. Do you know where the baby thermometer is?"

He yawns and shakes his head, getting up with Celia still in his arms. She's not really crying anymore, but she is whimpering. 

"Did we buy it?", he asks.

"I don't think so.", I say.

"Here.", he comes over and hands me Celia,"I'll go to the 24 hour store around the block and I'll get one."

"Okay.", I say,"Hurry."

He grabs his coat and then heads out and I go to the couch to sit down with Celia, who is now begun her crying once again.

"Aww, sweetie, I know.", I murmer,"Don't worry, daddy and I will make you feel much better."

You're obviously not supposed to give a newborn any kind of medicine. You don't even need to read the pamphlet to know that. The only thing you can do is to eat healthy yourself so when you breastfeed, the nutrients will be passed onto your child.