Chapter 30

Mary's POV

"Wake up!!!"

I flinch at the sound and bury my head into Kevin's chest, not wanting to get up or even leave his side. 

"Hey!!!", the same voice begins to grow louder and impatient,"I said wake up! The chief wishes to speak to the two of you."

I moan and finally pull myself to a sitting position, shielding my eyes from the sun coming in from the barred window.

"Give us a minute.", I tell him. He nodds and folds his arms, waiting.

I look over at Kevin and lightly shake him,"Kevin....Kev, we gotta go." He stirs in his sleep before lazily sits up in bed, stretching his arms over his head.

"Oh shit.", he looks around,"I forgot we were in here."

"I can see why you thought we were at home.", I give him a small smile. Considering our beds are put together, it does feel like we were at home. We quickly brush our teeths and comb our hair before the guard begins to yell more orders at us.

"Put the beds back where they were!", the guard barks at us in annoyance. 

I roll my eyes and help Kevin put my bed back to the left side of the room. Somehow, that was the most difficult thing to do. It was as if separating our beds marked the end of our relationship. 

I close my eyes and take slow, deep breaths. I can't cry right now....

"I need to go to my old cell.", I finally say,"A few of my things are left there that I need." That was mostly a lie. The main reason I wanted to go back was because I don't want to leave without talking to Pam one last time. 

"Alright.", the guard looks at me and smiles, letting his eyes wander down my body.

Angrily, I cross my arms across my chest and walk back towards Kevin, who notices the guards behavior and slips his arm across my waist.

"You're about 10 times more perverted than half of the convicts here.", Kevin sneers,"Keep your eyes off of her."

The guard gives Kevin a look of fury, but opens the door for me.

"I'll see you soon, Kev...", I whisper and give his hand a squeeze. He pulls me a little closer and kisses me on the forehead.

"See you...", he says.

I walk out with the guard and head towards Pam's cell. It's closer than I thought and as soon as she sees me, she jumps out of bed and comes to the bars.

"Mary!", she yells,"God, I was so worried about you! Where the hell were you?"

The guard opens the cell and pushes me in, probably from the insult that Kevin bestowed upon him. 

"Calm down.", I hold up my hands to appease her,"I was sharing a cell with Kevin because they needed to speak with us....and...and I'm probably going home."

She slowly smiles,"That's great, Mary. It really is. You go home to your daughter and take care of her."

"I know.", I go to the corner to get the rest of my things.

Pam walks over to me and puts her hand on my shoulder,"What is it?"

My lip quivers and I collapse on my bed, putting my head in my hands. 

Don't cry. Don't cry. Don't cry.

After a few moments, Pam takes a deep sigh and comes over to sit next to me,"It's him...isn't it? You don't wanna leave him."