0.1

If there is one thing that Katie hates that would have to be needles. In the two weeks of being in hospital and having chemo she has learned to hate them. Hate is a strong word and those who know Katie know that she never hates anything. At the start the needles weren’t too bad, just a small prick, but at this stage in a nine years old’s life it has become too many. Doctors are supposed to make you better, to make you feel better, but slowly they are giving up and Katie knows it. She knows that she isn't getting better, she can feel it. She tries to fight the cancer everyday but knows that eventually her battle will come to an end and she will be defeated. Her mum and dad think that she is getting better but really she isn’t, everyone knows it but wont believe it. 

Katie had spent at least two days straight in her bed and it was time to get out and go for a walk. Well technically due to the fact that she was weak and fragile she didn't actually walk but have her mum push her around in the wheelchair with little Katie instructing her mum where to go. The strong little girl didn't mind being pushed around as long as she was taken where she wanted to go, usually that was to go outside to see her older brother and sister. That was all she cared about. Majority of the time she got either an ice cream or icy pole to cheer her up. 

“Hey kiddo.” Sam, her older brother, was the first visitor to greet her. Her parents, Jo and Bruce, practically lived in the hospital so they weren't considered visitors in Katie’s eyes. Sam was 17, so was Gemma. Sam was older and made sure everyone knew that when Sam and Gemma were introduced as twins. 

“I brought you an ice-cream. Golden Gaytime this time.” If Katie had the strength within her to jump around like a little kid she would. Nothing could beat caramel ice-cream covered in chocolate and crushed biscuits, making it Katie’s favourite. In two weeks she had probably had 32 ice-creams with at least 17 of them being Golden Gaytimes. 

“So how are you doing there little munchkin?” Gemma quizzed. Katie had to stare off into the park like she did everyone asked her this question. Each day the answer varied and on one particular day the answer could change multiple times. “I guess I am alright. Not a 10 but not a 2 either. Maybe a 6.” The doctors had helped Katie create a scale for how she was feeling to put into the records each day. 

Gemma smiled at the progress of her little sister. It was quite funny how similar the two girls looked. Both with medium, chocolate-brown hair and blue eyes. Freckles covered their noses and cheeks. Sam, on the other hand, did not look like the two with his blonde hair, green eyes and five or six freckles on his face. 

“Can I help with making those paper cranes?” Each day Gemma asked hoping that her sister would give in allowing the two to do some activity together. Each day had the same response. 

“No thanks. The Japanese legend says that anyone who makes 100 paper cranes is granted a wish a recovery from an illness. No where does it say that someone can help, that only one person can make them. And that one person will be me.” Once Katie had her mind set on one thing she would accomplish it no matter the challenges she had to face. 

Her family were the supporting kind. In the past two years where Katie had been fighting cancer the entire family put their lives on hold for the youngest. Just when there was good news that the cancer would never come back, six months later it did. 

“We should really be getting you back inside,” Jo started as she wrapped her child up in another blanket, “you can't afford to catch a cold in this horrible weather.” It was true though. With all the chemo Katie’s immune system was weakened and the slightest cold could cause great damage. 

Goodbyes were shared between the family before Katie was taken back. Gemma, Sam and Bruce (the children’s father) headed back home where the twins were made to keep up with their studies and Bruce went to work. Katie was wheeled down the multiple corridors, that she now knew like the back of her hand, by her mum. Once the two reached the hospital room they went back to their daily routine. Jo continued to read her magazines and Katie folded more paper cranes. The nurses came in the room every few hours to either take tests or to prod Katie with needles. It was something she would have to get used to. 

AN: So I have re-written this chapter. I am making this book into third point of view so until I update the other chapters they will be in different point of views which are obviously in first person. Sorry if you get confused but I am working on getting them re-written ASAP and writing the rest of the chapters. 

:) 

Please vote and comment. Leave feedback please. 

Luff you 

- Ally