Day Five

Ryan couldn't remember the last time he woke up without a pessimistic feeling for the day. He didn't feel tired and heavy but rather light and a little excited about the day. There were a variety of probable factors to the sudden change, the main being a certain very sweet, very hot, surfer, but Ryan didn't take the time to analyze any or give his mood a specific reason because he didn't want to spoil it. He wanted to cherish it.

The sun was barely up when Ryan awoke, something he would normally gripe about, so Ryan took the time to shower and spend a little more time than usual getting ready before calling Brendon who had given Ryan his number the previous night. Brendon told Ryan to call whenever he needed anything, no so discreetly emphasizing 'whenever' and 'anything', but Ryan didn't want to call too early in case Brendon was sleeping. The man had skipped out on adequate sleep the previous night.

By the time Ryan was all ready it was eight so he scrolled through the contacts list to find Brendon's number. He didn't have it memorized, yet, and had to rely on his phones memory to retrieve it. When Ryan came to the number, he pressed the little green phone button to automatically call it, holding it to his ear and listening to the ring while pulling open the door to the little patio connected to his room. "'ello?" Brendon groggily answered after a few rings.

"Did I wake you?" Ryan asked with a frown, leaning against the wooden fence and looking out towards the calm ocean.

"Kinda." Brendon answered, his voice getting stronger and lighter. "It's ok; I don't mind." Ryan could see the smile on Brendon's face.

"Not if you're trying to sleep," Ryan said with a small smile himself. "I can hang up and wander around the area so you can sleep, if you want." Brendon scoffed. "It is still early. I'm usually not up for another few hours."

"I'm usually up," Ryan heard shuffling in the background, "an hour or two ago." he laughed lightly and weakly. "But, like I predicted, Bill and Gabe have been rather loud all night and, even on the couch, it sounds like I'm in the room." There was a small groan at the end of his sentence and Ryan shuddered at the thought. "I've been passing out randomly all night only to wake up a half hour later."

"Why didn't you say something to them?" Ryan asked, the light breeze chilling him since his hair was still damp.

"First of all, I'm not going near that room; I don't even when Bill's not here." Ryan laughed. "Secondly, Will missed Gabe and I'd feel awful for telling him how he can spend his time with his boyfriend."

"But you need sleep too," Ryan said pointedly. "As an athlete you should know the importance of sleep."

"I do." Brendon sighed into the phone. "They'll be better tonight so I can sleep then." Ryan rolled his eyes, oblivious to the large smile on his face or how his brain was analyzing how ridiculously adorable and nerdy Brendon is. "So;" Brendon's suddenly louder, eager voice broke the numbness the waves created for Ryan. "What are we doing today?"

"You're the native expert." Ryan stood straight, not realizing he had been leaning over the railing like some teenager on the phone with their 'love' who didn't want their parents to hear. "You're supposed to tell me what we're doing and I'm supposed to complain."

"We could work on surfing again." Brendon suggested, Ryan making a frustrated noise. "Or I can take you guys to the other side of the island where they have some shops or we can even hop islands though commuting can get annoying."

"We should stay on this island," Ryan said, turning around to see Spencer and Jon coming into his room. "If you're half dead for the day then the closer we are to your house for when you pass out, the better." he lightly teased, tugging the glass door shut again before he was questioned. Spencer gave Ryan a curious look but Ryan ignored him and turned back towards the ocean.