Day Thirteen

Something continuously pestered Ryan's subconscious, as he was mentally living in an excellent dream, eventually forcing him awake and back to reality. The fragments of his dream slipped away like smoke before Ryan could grasp them, making what occurred unmemorable. But Ryan knew that he had a good dream, and that's what made Ryan's sleep good too. So whatever woke Ryan up was at the top of his 'hate list' because it took away that good feeling.

It took Ryan a few moments to re-orient himself. Feeling came to his body slowly, like his soul was gradually reentering, from his head to his toes. Everything sounded like general noise for a while but then started to clear out; the waterfall swiftly bringing the reminding of Brendon, the previous day and where he was.

Opening his eyes was a challenge in itself because Ryan really didn't want to be awake, and opening his eyes would inevitably mean that he was, unfortunately, awake. The same nagging something was there though, eating away at Ryan, so with a frustrated groan, he parted his lids a fraction of an inch. Bright, almost blue, light flooded his pupils. Ryan, groaning again, this time from the sting.

Moving was a whole different story.

All of Ryan's body felt heavy and tight. He was dully cold but not enough to be that uncomfortable. There was some warmth there and as Ryan shifted into it, he realized it was Brendon; the younger man tight against Ryan with his limbs locked around Ryan's body. Ryan took a deep breath for no real reason, inhaling the pleasant smell of Brendon, smiling into the curve of Brendon's neck where his face was pressed. Being close to Brendon, having the other man hold him close, protectively, like he owned Ryan, made Ryan temporarily forget the reason he woke to begin with and nearly put him to sleep again.

Then Ryan heard the noise again, finally recognizing it as his cellphone, and knew sleep, at least at the moment, was not an option.

His cellphone was in a pocket of the backpack, a considerable distance away. Ryan obviously couldn't just ignore it because it woke him up and was keeping him awake, and the only other way to shut the damn thing up was to turn it off. Meaning Ryan would have to actually leave his bliss and go turn it off. Meaning Ryan was seriously going to kill whoever was continuously calling him.

Waiting out one more round of ringing, Ryan gave out a frustrated noise and moved away from Brendon who stayed asleep, but objected to Ryan's moving by trying to pull him back. Ryan pushed Brendon's arms away, Brendon eventually releasing Ryan and curling up on himself, still not waking. It took a considerable amount of effort for Ryan to convince himself to get up, using his arms to get himself into a sitting position.

Ryan dug the heels of his palms into his eyes and rubbed them to adjust to the light around him, guessing it to be sometime between seven and eight. The sun was starting to rise higher to make everything brighter, a few birds calling sweetly to each other. Ryan didn't have the strength in his legs yet to stand, so he settled for crawling, leaving the blanket and crossing the dew-coated grass towards the backpack to turn his phone off like he should have done the night before. Then again, only Spencer has ever called Ryan this early, and he wouldn't keep doing so if Ryan didn't answer. Usually.

Ryan had some difficulties opening the pocket where his phone was because the zipper was small and his fingers didn't want to bend enough to hold onto it. But after a few moments Ryan managed, using the little strength he had for just waking up to remove the noisy device that sounded louder in the open air. Ryan fell back onto his butt and flipped the phone open, bringing it to his ear and mumbling, "'lo?"

"God, finally!" came the frustrated and rather loud voice on the other end. "What the hell have you been doing for the last hour?!"

"Sleeping?" Ryan held the phone a little ways away from his ear before he went deaf.