Chapter Two: The Journey Starts

Lyra

It's night and I am walking around trying to clear my head, when I bump into someone. I look up into the stunning blue eyes of Legolas. He smiles at me.

"I'm very sorry my lord" I say bowing my head, I then move to walk away but he grabs my arm.

"Lyra, are you alright?" He asks

"Yes, my lord" I say keeping my eyes down.

Legolas lifts my head up so I look at him. "Lyra, you can call me Legolas" He says

"No, I can't. You're royalty, I'm a commoner and lower than you" I say

"It doesn't matter, we're going on a quest together, you don't have to treat me like I am royalty"

"But you are!"

"So what? It doesn't matter"

"I have to tell you something" 

"What?" He asks

My heart flutters and my stomach fills with butterflies, just like when I first saw him "You're my mate"

"What?" He asks

"You're my mate, that's what my people or any that change into animals call their other halves, their ones, the one and only person they can love for eternity" I say "I just wanted to let you know"

I start to walk away but Legolas stops me again "Thank you for telling me" He says, I nod and walk away.

I wake up the next morning and realize today is the day I leave Rivendell for the first time in many, many years. I quickly get dressed and head out of my room, I see Arwen and she stops me.

"I want to give you this" She says handing me a small black bag, I open it and gasp. It's an Evenstar pendant like her's except it has amethyst stones and not diamonds.

"Thank you Arwen" I say hugging her

"You're welcome. I want you to be safe Aerlinniel" She says using the Elvish name Elrond had given me "and be careful"

"I will, my dear sister" I say

"I love you"

"I love you too"

In a glade beneath an old stone arch, the Fellowship gathers to bid farewell to Rivendell. Elrond speaks to them, gazing sternly at the faces before him. Frodo stands, listening, slightly apart from the rest of us; leaves flutter to the earth.

"The Ring-bearer is setting out on the Quest of Mount Doom. On you who travel with him no oath nor bond is laid, to go further than you will." Elrond says "Farewell. Hold to your purpose. May the blessings of Elves and Men and all free folk go with you."

Elrond spreads his arms, and Legolas and Aragorn bow their heads, hands upon hearts.

"The Fellowship awaits the Ring-bearer." Gandalf says

Frodo, turns and walks forward, uncertainly. Before him, the path winds away to either side.

"Mordor, Gandalf, is it left or right?" I hear Frodo whisper to Gandalf