Chapter Thirty-Four: Battle Ends

Third Person

Théoden gathers his remaining army.

"Rally to me! To me!" Théoden orders

Théoden turns and sees a Nazgûl flying towards him. The beast grabs Théoden's horse in its teeth and throws Théoden across the ground. Éowyn watches on in horror. The Nazgûl's mount approaches a wounded Théoden, who is pinned under his slain horse.

"Feast off his flesh." The Witch-King says to his fellbeast.

Éowyn moves between the beast and Théoden.

"I will kill you if you touch him," Éowyn says

"Do not come between the Nazgûl and his prey." The Witch-King replies

The fell beast bites at Éowyn. Éowyn dodges the attack and decapitates the monster. The Witch-King dismounts. At his full height, the Witch-King looms over Éowyn. The Witch-King attacks, eventually striking Éowyn's shield with his mace, shattering it. Éowyn cries out and falls. The Witch-King opens his arms, taunting his foe. The Witch-King grabs Éowyn by the throat.

"You fool! No man can slay the Lord of the Nazgûl! Die now!" The Witch-King sneers at Éowyn.

Merry, crawling up from behind, stabs the wraith's knee with the dagger of the Noldorin given to him by Galadriel, after he did so he yelled out in pain. Éowyn stands before the now vulnerable Witch-King and removes her helmet, revealing her true form: a shieldmaiden of Rohan.

"I am no man!" Éowyn replies

Éowyn strikes down the Witch-King. The wraith crumbles into a heap. Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli fight alongside the ghosts against the orcs.

Lyra fights off orcs, suddenly Jarvis is in front of her, she looks at him shocked.

"How did you get out? What are you doing here?" She asks him

"Helping" He replies

"Helping who?"

"Your side, but if one of the leader orcs is watching I have to kill your side" He replies and starts to fight her, the both see an orc watching them. Jarvis leaves some cuts on Lyra and hits her hard in the face.

"I have to knock you out so it looks like a real fight," Jarvis says

"Fine" Lyra replies

"I'm sorry," Jarvis says as he smacks her in the head with the end of his sword before running off.

"Fifteen, sixteen." Legolas counts "Seventeen." 

"Twenty-nine." Gimli counts

As Aragorn's party fight towards the city, a wounded Éowyn crawls away from a snarling Gothmog.

"Merry!" Éowyn calls

Aragorn and Gimli approach Éowyn. Gothmog raises his mace to strike her. Éowyn reaches for a sword, but it slips from her grasp. Just before Gothmog strikes, Gimli and Aragorn cut him down.

"Legolas!" Aragorn yells

Legolas turns to see a Mûmakil running towards him. He leaps on it and climbs towards the top, shooting off enemies as he goes.

"Thirty-three, thirty-four," Legolas says

Legolas cuts the saddle rope. The platform slides off the Mûmakil. Legolas walks to the head of the creature and shoots into its skull. As the slain beast falls, Legolas gracefully slides off its trunk. He lands softly on the ground, with a smirk, right in front of Gimli.

"It still only counts as one!" Gimli grumbles

The dead army begins to swarm through and up the city, destroying the orcs. Elsewhere on the battlefield, Théoden lies under his dead horse. Blood flows from his mouth. Éowyn crawls to his side. Théoden touches her gently.

"I know your face. Éowyn. My eyes darken." Théoden tells her

"No. No, I am going to save you." Éowyn says

"You already did. Éowyn, my body is broken. You have to let me go. I go to my fathers in whose mighty company I shall not now feel ashamed." Théoden replies

"Éowyn," Théoden says

Théoden dies in Éowyn's arms. All is quiet. The King of the Dead stands before Aragorn.

"Release us." King of the Dead orders Aragorn

"Bad idea." Gimli says "Very handy in a tight spot, these lads, despite the fact they're dead."

"You gave us your word!" King of the Dead tells Aragorn, glaring at Gimli

"I hold your oath fulfilled. Go, be at peace." Aragorn replies with a nod

The dead army dissipates into the wind. Gandalf bows to the new king. Survivors survey the scene of the battle and tend to the wounded.

Pippin finds an Elvish cloak and brooch.

"Merry." Pippin whispers, he heads off to find him but instead finds another person.

Éomer spots his wounded sister and runs towards her.

"No!" Éomer screams

Aragorn sees the two.

"No!" Éomer cries

Legolas hears Pippin speaking to a fallen figure.

"Wake up! Please wake up!" Pippin's voice breaking as he cries, Legolas realizes who Pippin is speaking to and runs over. He kneels next to the hobbit.

"Lyra" He whispers, Lyra lays there, out cold. Legolas notices some cuts and bruises and rushes her inside to get help. 

Later at night, Éowyn is treated at the Houses of Healing. Éomer looks on with worried glances as Aragorn treats the wound from the Witch-King's touch. Éowyn awakes.

"I must go attend to my sister before Legolas comes to kill me," Aragorn tells them.

"Thank you," Éomer tells him

"Your welcome" Aragorn replies before rushing off to his sister